Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a review of Creative Labs Zen Nomad mp3 player in the Globe and Mail. The review is quite positive but has some errors. The reviewer gets the size comparison with the new iPod wrong. The ease of use is completely bananas compared with iTunes. The RAM buffer is only 16 Mb (vs 32 for the iPod). The cold boot time (get this....) is 30 seconds, versus 2 secs for the iPod (although if you've used it in the last 24 hours you can wake it from sleep). And it is kinda ugly (but that's a matter of taste). No wonder Apple has sold a million iPods (the Soho, NY store sells 100 a day).

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I just finished reading that article a few minutes ago and was going to post about it. I agree with you...that thing is ugly.

And "ease of use" my @ss!

You should provide feedback to the author to refute his assertions!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
When I decided that I needed an MP3 player, I looked at the Zen. There's absolutely no comparison between it and the iPod. I'll wait and pay more for the iPod.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
While the Zen can't really compare to the iPod in terms of "ease of use", I wouldn't slag it too hard, it is a significant improvement over previous offering from Creative, and also over just about every other large capacity player (not that there are many of them).

What bothers me is how quickly many manufacturers drop FireWire in support of USB2, expecially when it is a company like Creative, that sells sound cards with FireWire ports on them and advertises that you can use the "SB1394"[1] port to connect your Nomad player to your computer.

USB2 is cheaper to implement yes, but FireWire makes a lot more sense in a lot of cases.

Also, the iPod comparison is a little off, but not totally innacurate. The Zen is a little thinner than the OLD iPods and a little thicker than the NEW iPods. It is both wider and longer though, and heavier. The iPod comes with the same accessories that the Zen does as well, and the author give the impression that the iPod doesn't come with those accessories at all [2].

[1]SB1394 is Creatives name for FireWire.
[2] I suppose if you are comparing the smallest iPod (10GB) to the Smallest Zen (20GB) then the iPod doesn't come with the same accessories, but when comparing similar size models (IE: 20GB Zen vs. 15 or 30 GB iPod) then it does come with the accessories.

--PB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts