ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple takes delivery of mystery containers.

Nothing shocking in the fact that the new iPhone is making it's way over the big pond.

What IS interesting to note:

He makes a strong case, citing records of a total of 188 Apple containers shipped to U.S. ports and another 87 sent to Vancouver, B.C., from two trusted Asian suppliers, Hon Hai Precision Corp. and Quanta Computer.

Each container holds approx 40,000 units. Do the math. That's 3,480,000 iPhones destined for Canadian distribution. That's a ton of phones for a market this size. Rogers and Apple would have to make the deal so sweet few could resist.

This info also means we're looking at an iPhone rollout VERY soon and likely the same day as in the US.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can you imagine if, armed with this information, some goons do a hit on some Vancouver port and steal the contents of one of those containers?

...and it turned out to be a shipment of the next-gen Mighty Mouse?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you imagine if, armed with this information, some goons do a hit on some Vancouver port and steal the contents of one of those containers?

...and it turned out to be a shipment of the next-gen Mighty Mouse?
That would be hilarious!

I'm sure the shipment of "electric computers" is likely the iPhone. Likewise, that shipment has already made it's way across Canada to various warehouses for delivery to Rogers/Apple.

Somewhere in the GTA there's a big stack of iPhones and 2 of them have my name on them. :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just a note: Hon Hai (Foxconn) makes iPhones; Quanta is primarily computers. I believe Foxconn also makes others, too.

Not sure if there's much meat to the story, though. Without a lot of history, it's just a bunch of boxes!

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
3 million iPhones eh!

That's a lot.

·
Registered
450 Posts
meh..

..still waiting for Blackberry Thunder :clap:

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but Vancouver is just another port city where iPhones (and all manner of Apple products, including iPods) get delivered and then distributed across North America.

My first BlackBook got "held up" in Vancouver for a few days on its way to me.

I'm not saying that those boxes AREN'T full of yummy new iPhones and possibly other goodies. I'm saying that it's likely that most (or even all) of the contents of those boxes are ultimately bound for places other than Vancouver. Or Canada, for that matter.

Put another way: Apple will not be selling 3 million iPhones in Canada. Not this year, not next year. Even as popular as the iPhone is in the US, estimates from AT&T suggest that only 1 in 100 -- ie 1% of the population -- has one.

One percent penetration in Canada would be roughly 330,000 iPhones. And given the current cost of data plans here, even that's a wild pipe dream.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
some others in another forum did some research into the weight of these containers and the quantities of product listed on the invoices. with their math they say that each of these products weighs between 15-21lbs (which you can read further into the thread) and is probably not iPhone 2 but rather a newer more secretive 'mystery product' that will be unveiled soon.

New Apple Device In Route To US? - Mac Forums
the thread is pretty interesting to say the least.

Still hoping I'm wrong about iPhone 2 launch in Canada not being June 9 (or in the neighborhood of). Would like to see some support for it here in Canuckia soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think the evidence points to launch anywhere on June 9th. An announcement, almost certainly, but the "buy" date is likely to be a week or so later- as evidenced by the dates in the AT&T vacation memo and the call for part-time staff: both of which point to a launch later in the month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts