Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hope your well.
I have a question concerning the maitenance of ones hard drive. I use my mac daily for everything from email to video editing (on the smaller scale) and have found my mac doing funny things in the last while. Mostly freezing which then I need a hard restart. All these symptoms started when I was using imovie and tried to place a title. Anywho, this could go on all day. I wondered how you other mac nuts take care of these issues and also, am I alone here? This might help you to know that my mac is about two years old and i have never really had any other problems. So, there you have it, should i have something like tech tools? Fill me in gang.
[EDIT for clairification]

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
This might be to basic, let me know if it is.

1. Rebuild Desktop (Restart the Mac and press Option + Command)

2. Run Disk First Aid.

That's a good start....

Have you tried Jaguar?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Heart thanks for the quick reply. No this is not too basic for me. To be honest I thought if you rebuilt your desktop you lost everyfile and program installed. I know I know some of you in here are wondering how does a guy build his own site edit vids etc and not get this? lol. Anyway, heart, if I do this will I lose everything?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, as for Jaguar I have another confession. I am still running 9.2.2 as another possible misconseption I have is that my golive5 and photoshop and everything else I have wont work. Am I out to pasture on this one too? ha
thanks again.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If you have 192 MB of RAM, that's a hard problem right there. You will run out of memory depending on what you do -- which in turn will cause unexpected errors. Upgrade it. If you're going to be running Mac OS X, 384 MB RAM is needed or more, especically with iMovie and video work, if you dislike VM (VM in most cases causes hard drive performance loss and overall slow system performance).

If your hard drive is defrayed, run Norton. If a hard drive is severly defrayed, it is SLOW and can be very uncooperative. Run it biweekly.

Reformatting the hard drive every 6 months also clears problems by the dozens. And, like Heart mentioned, rebuild the desktop on restart.

If the drive is making weird noises, backup -- it's going to die.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timmer:
Hey Heart thanks for the quick reply. No this is not too basic for me. To be honest I thought if you rebuilt your desktop you lost everyfile and program installed. I know I know some of you in here are wondering how does a guy build his own site edit vids etc and not get this? lol. Anyway, heart, if I do this will I lose everything?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rebuilding the desktop clears the Finder -- you do not lose any file installed. You should do this monthly.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Oh yeah, as for Jaguar I have another confession. I am still running 9.2.2 as another possible misconseption I have is that my golive5 and photoshop and everything else I have wont work. Am I out to pasture on this one too? ha
thanks again.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both Golive and Photoshop will run under Classic mode in Mac OS X. However, Classic can be extremely slow without loads of RAM and if you lack a G4 processor, you're much better off getting the OS X versions of these apps if you're making the transition to Mac OS X (Jaguar).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Lars, thanks for your quick reply as well. Very very helpfull. I will get to it right away.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both Golive and Photoshop will run under Classic mode in Mac OS X. However, Classic can be extremely slow without loads of RAM and if you lack a G4 processor, you're much better off getting the OS X versions of these apps if you're making the transition to Mac OS X (Jaguar)

Hey Lars can you get these versions as upgrades?

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Freezes could be caused by a number of things...insufficient memory allocation for the application, extension conflicts, corrupt preferences files, and more. Heart's suggestion to rebuild the desktop is part of simple yet important maintenace. You must HOLD DOWN the Option and Command (Apple) keys immediately upon starting and keep holding them until a dialogue box appears asking if you really wish to rebuild the desktop file. Answer YES and wait for it to do it's job. This is the thread file that the processor uses to find data on the hard drive. It gets bloated over time and causes slowness and icons to lose their custom appearance.
Running Disk First Aid (free with your Mac software) will detect and repair simple hard drive directory problems. For a more thorough diagnostic and repair ability, Norton Utilities or Disk Warrier are recommended.
If aparticular program freezes up immediately, find the Preferences file for it (System Folder / Preferences / name of file) and trash it. A new one will be created upon relaunching the program. If the program freezes after creating large images or multiple pages, then the problem is probably not allocating enough memory to it. To change this setting, click once on the application (not the folder) icon, go yo the File menu and select Get Info/General Info. Click on "General Information" and scroll down to "Memory". Increase the Preferred Setting by 50% and close the window. See if this helps. You can increase more if neccessary, as long as you don't exceed the amount of memory available. To see how much total memory you're using at any given time, click on the desktop (or select Finder from the application menu at the top right corner of the screen), then go to the Apple Menu and select "About This Computer". A summary of memory allocation will show.
Sometimes purging the "Parameter RAM" will get rid of strange problems. Hold down the Option, Command, P and R keys (2hands) immediately upon booting and hold them until you hear the Mac rebooting 3 times. Then let go of the keys and let it complete the start-up. You may loose some Control Panel settings (printer selection, AppleTalk settng, etc,) but they can easily be reset if you find it neccessary. Those are the standard, easy Mac tune up procedures to try first. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Peter, that is some great stuff. I really apreciate it!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hey Lars can you get these versions as upgrades?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you can, but don't rely on me on that answer. I actually don't think you can get Photoshop 7 as an upgrade; PH7 is the only version which supports Mac OS X as a Carbon copy (Mac OS X native).

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
[qb]Hey Lars can you get these versions as upgrades?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you can, but don't rely on me on that answer. I actually don't think you can get Photoshop 7 as an upgrade; PH7 is the only version which supports Mac OS X as a Carbon copy (Mac OS X native).[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you can get Photoshop 7 as a paid upgrade (it's not free, but the upgrade is cheaper than buying the full version), at least if you have v6. You may want to check with Adobe if there is a minimum version that you can upgrade from.

I had problems upgrading from v3.x to v6, and had to call Adobe everytime I needed to install v6. They assumed you would upgrade from v4 or v5 to v6, but the upgrade to v6 said any prior version.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just as an aside... drop to 9.1 from 9.2.2it is far more stable and get Conflict Catcher. What a great program for sortig out the countless extensions .

I have been running 9.1 for ... well, I don't know - a long, long time, on a PB G# & Beige G3 (G4 upgrade) and neither crashes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how do you drop operating systems? Is it as simple as installing 9.1 over 9.2

thanks for the advice

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
how do you drop operating systems? Is it as simple as installing 9.1 over 9.2

thanks for the advice
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Delete your system folder, and then restart your Mac booting off the 9.1 CD. Install 9.1. Done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts