Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear your reviews of Quark 6 and how you find it is working for you. Quark 6 is the last step we have to take in order to be fully integrated into Mac OSX. We have been have not been able to print from Quark 5 in classic mode to our networked printer ( we use PCMAC Lan for network printing) everything else in 10 works great. So if you are using Quark 6 could you please inform me on the pros and cons you have been noticing

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I never ventured to far into Quark 5.0 as 4.11 was working just fine for my office needs - I switched to OS X and was a little disappointed everytime I had to run Quark in Classic mode - but I waited patiently for this "brand new" Quark, the one that will run native in OS X and be the fixer of all that was bad.

Let me tell you - Quark 6.0 is the biggest dog I have ever run into next to Corel's Ventura Publisher. At least that's what it reminded me of .. PDF's that were always blank or missing fonts .. mysterious crashes and complete lockups of the system ... missing files and the inability to save backwards (I tried working on a file that kept crashing in OSX so I saved backwards hoping to open it and continue in 4.11 - but noooooo - the file won't open)

As far as I can see, there are no new reasons for me to switch to an OS X version .. no "tools", nothing "better" .. it crashes more and it actually makes me dread opening it as I am starting to wonder if it will crash before I have had a chance to save.

I want to be OSX complete .. so I switched to Indesign. I thought it would be a painful experience since I had been a Quark user all these years .. but no, surprisingly it hasn't been. It open Quark files with ease (so I can work on old files), most of my printers have Indesign so output isn't a problem (and for the few that don't yet - off goes a hi-res PDF file instead - which is a no brainer with Indesign). And the once or twice that Indesign did crash - next time it opened my file that I was working on was there with all changes up to date .. now that's a program.

Quark, I love and I hate it .. but you are out the door .. Hello Indesign, welcome to my office.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
"Quark, I love and I hate it .. but you are out the door .. Hello Indesign, welcome to my office."

Seems to be a growing sentiment.... Personally I am waiting for the first round of Bug Patcheds before I even try QX6...

I never trust x.0 versions... and now Quark is saying that due to complaints about the long time between upgrades, they are now going to upgrade on a yearly cycle, much like Adobe....

Oh boy, won't that be fun and less expensive....

InDesign is starting to look better by default.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
InDesign - OS X friendly - cheaper - opens QX docs - tight integration with other Adobe apps.

I've been a proponent of InDesign for a while and have to say, if you really want to enjoy full benefits of OS X, you simply have to try this page layout alternative. I'm sure, after a little time, you'll be asking your clients or service bureaus to support it. I did, and now many do!

The biggest resistance to switching is from those who have had bad experiences with earlier versions - not great. But version 2.0.2 works like a dream. You can always keep an earlier version of QX (one that actually works) on your system for those times of absolute necessity. And my experience indicates almost all service bureaus can deal with EPS or PDF files, which InDesign happens to do a splendid job of exporting!

Give InDesign a try. You have nothing to lose but your patience with QX 6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts