Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to finally upgrade from my mid-2009 MBP to something newer. For my budget and desire for certain ports, I'm looking 2014s. I was wondering what folks think of this machine:

2014 MBP Retina, 15" with 256GB 2.2 GHz 4-Core i7 with 16GB RAM

I want the size of a 15" because I'm doing video editing. I'm currently using iMovie but do want to get back to FCX or some other better program. I'll use an external HD for more storage.

I also do online video tutoring and my current machine starts chugging/moaning (expressing disgruntlement with the task) after an hour. It's fine when given a break from the intensity of the screen time but I'd like to do more than an hour at a time.

The machine I'm thinking of buying is coming at around $1300 CDN all in.

Any thoughts? Do you use this? Does it work well? Any issues?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I had the 13" version (2014; rMBP). Loved it until it died. Fairly early on, though, it developed the dreaded screen stain. As a work laptop in Mexico and far from an Apple Store, it was deemed not worth going through warranty to fix, and I put up with it. Fortunately not as pronounced as in the linked article - it was mainly visible along the black upper part of the screen. I don't know if this affected the 15" models.

The hardware failure that eventually brought it down, though, was a keyboard failure. There had never been any water damage, but eventually two keys wouldn't register at all... and in the end, it would type things itself (fortunately, no complete words / phrases that would indicate demonic possession). The keyboard fix on that model is a full teardown and motherboard replacement, so it's not worth saving.

If the machine you're looking at has been well cared for, you should be fine. Just check the screen and ensure all the keys are working reliably.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
@ cubamark: long shot, but worth a try (speaking from experience): try to get hold of Isopropyl alcohol aka isopropanol.
Then thoroughly rub/scrub down the keyboard internal flatcable connector with it, next firmly reseat the connector.

No bullshit, I'm coming to you right now from a 2012 MBP which had the exact same KYBD issue before the isopropanol fix!

Good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience! I'll ask about the keyboard!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts