Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to read stories of your first mac or even first computer.

I was lucky to get my first mac as a christmas gift about 8 or 10 year ago. I had never touched a computer in my life. There were none at school so I was never exposed. So on christmas morning much to my surprise there was a large gift from my sister and my brother inlaw( the mac guru ). Opened it up and low and behold it was computer.

Not any computer but an Apple computer. All in one, and about 50lbs, it was a LC575. Quickly it was plugged in and the demo by the bro inlaw began, complete with a start up screen of my 2 kids. I was instantly hooked.

I don't think I was away from it unless I had to go to work or sleep. I was so impressed with the power and ability, I had no idea that computers were like that. I used it about a year without an internet connection. Then I got a 28.8 modem and a whole new world was opened.

A few macs later the obsesion continues now with a G4 and a high speed conection. I hope it never ends.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My first computer was a Packard Bell Pentium 75.
When I started to get into digital video I knew I needed a Mac, So I switched and bought my first Mac, a 400Mhz Ruby iMac DV. I taught myself iMovie & Final Cut Pro. I now make a living as an Editor and just got my second Mac a Dual 2.0GHz G5.

·
Registered
235 Posts
1985...Macintosh 128....

never touched a computer before...amazing

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
My first mac I owned... PB140 4/40 in 1993 it was so sweet... I still have one.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
My first computer was an Intel 386. It came with all the bells and whistles: a 256-colour monitor, a 100 meg hard drive, a mind-blowing 4 megs of RAM, and a 2400-baud modem. Then there was my 486 upgrade, followed by an AMD K6-233. All of them were plagued by a lousy OS.

My first Mac was an iMac450, which, unlike my PCs, is still reliable and ticking along just fine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Power Mac 7200/75mhz with 8megs of RAM and a 500MB hardrive. I remember I had to get a 32MB DIMM (cost 400 bucks) to get Photoshop to run smoothely.

I took it to a PC place to get it upgraded and the dude was pretty impressed by the case which had a "revolutionary" curve on the front, and a came off by pressing two buttons on the front. Easiest RAM he ever installed. :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
First computer was a commodore 64 (couldn't afford an Apple II).

First mac was a used SE/30, purchased from a friend's brother for $1000 CDN in 1990. At the time, it was a great deal for 16 MB RAM and 200 MB(?) hard drive. Over time, it got a Radius Pivot card and a colour Pivot monitor. Nothing like impressing your DOS and WIn 3.1 using friends with a dual monitor set up. Used that computer to first surf the web back in '94. Sadly, I sold that particular computer <big mistake>.

Of all the macs that I have owned over the years (and there have been many), the SE/30 is my favourite because it seemed to have a "personality". It was fun when I wanted to play games and got down to business when I had page layouts to do.

The only other mac that I lusted over was the Mac IIfx. $15,000 CDN fully loaded back in the day - I have a mint condition fx now but it took 11 years to afford one

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Although they weren't Macs... I had two Yamaha CX5M music computers back in the mid to late 80's. They ran an MSX operating system, had built-in FM synthesizers, and did midi sequencing. Kinda cool back then, completely silly today.

My first Mac was a IIci. I still love the IIci for being one of the great Mac computers of all time.

-Howie

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Dozens of signatures and a Small Business Improvement loan later - $16,800 worth.... I was the proud owner of a Fat Mac 512k and an Apple Laserwriter :eek:
No hard drive, floppies only yet it transformed our business. MultiCalc for spreadsheets ( calculating Yen /dollar transactions sure got a whole bunch easier). Macdraw and Macpaint for brochures that we could customize and print ourselves.
Who could imagine where it would go 18 years later. :D
:cool:

Stone Age to FTL in a generation......more to come too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Aha, secret plot to give away your age! So here we go:

My first ever computer was a Tandy/RadioShack which I shared with my neighbour. Output was to a tape deck...

The next one I shared with my room-mate in undergrad. was an Osborne luggable/8 bit operating system (about 4 inch mono screen), it backed up to 5" floppies...

My first computer love was a Chinese Apple II+ clone with 64k memory and two 5" floppies. It ran a fabulous program called Jane which was a primitive version of a business suite combined to a switcher: it ran word processor, spreadsheet, database, switcher AND the OS on 64k!!! (You used a joystick to control the applications, my first pseudo-GUI)

Fast forward a couple of years when I bought a Mac Plus (mono, 3.5" floppy, external 5MB drive if I remember correctly). At the time I was doing my MBA at McGill and I'm pretty sure that my grades improved on the strength of the presentations and the inclusion of graphics. This was still a time when you scrapped the bottom of the barrel to afford a cheap secreatary to type up your papers because you were too incompetent to use a typewriter...

·
Registered
536 Posts
My Parents Bought me an Apple IIe in 1986 after I had been in a Bad Car Accident, This was to Help me with My School work, I used it Mainly for Games unfortunatly, I Did keep a Journal on it, and tried to learn how to program it, It was a Great Experience, I Loved the Little Green and black Screen!

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
My first Mac was a Colour Classic; I got it in 1991 or so. A very sweet little thing it was, especially after I installed a 50mhz DayStar accelerator which made it a fast little beast in its day.

My Colour Classic was retired in 1995, when I got one of the first PCI PowerPC models, a 7200/90. It was quite stout, a solid performer.

In early November last year I bought my 700mhz Flat-Panel iMac. What a beautiful machine! Such a pleasure to own & use.

Through an unexpected turn of events this week I found myself in a position to make a lavish impulse purchase... so yesterday afternoon I walked into the computer store at work, bought a stock Dual Processor/2ghz G5, and took immediate delivery. My goodness what a masterful bit of engineering. I haven't been able to use it yet, as my 20" Apple Cinema Display and Creature speaker set are on back order; they will probably come in next week. I can't wait. Might I add, I feel very fortunate to have been able to make this purchase, and also to have been able to take delivery of my G5 the same day. I know a lot of non-Educational customers who placed orders ages ago are still waiting for their DP G5s.

My beloved FP iMac is going to a good home, being adopted by a friend of mine who loves all things Mac, and her husband who desperately wants to switch. Soon, he will!

:D :D :D

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
First comp was a 286 DOS machine to "help" run my business...never, never follow an accountant's recomendation for ANY computer!!!!

Then someone said "GET A MAC, DUDE! and so I got a LC, followed by a Centris 610 and a PB150. I was in heaven. I was forced to get a 486 Deskpro to run some custom DOS programs for my biz, but the Macs were my primary machines....and oh, I got a new accountant too.

Today, I use my trusty 350MHz G4 AGP and a 12" Powerbook. When Panther starts shipping with the G5s, I'm getting a dual 2 GHz.

·
peek-a-boo
16,664 Posts
First one was an IBM XT (or AT?) with a 10 gig drive and dos. I used wordperfect and a daisywheel printer in university. (man that was loud, the neighbors hated it). Then the 486, and the bunch of pentiums up to the athlon. My first mac was a beige G3 that since I had "PCitis" I upgraded like crazy. It was the machine that made me go out and get a G4 and put the PC furthur down the table ;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
First Computer in our house was my brothers Commodre 64.... Loved it.... 300 + games

My 1st was a Quadra 650... Beat the crap outta my bros 386 and its later 486 upgrade... Compared favourably to his later Pentium 1 as well....

I retired it this spring after 12 years... many of its parts live on in a refurbished 7100...

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
1. Commodore 64

2. Intel something 386

3. " " 486

4. Pentium II 400mhz, 512 sdram

5. G4 400

·
Registered
304 Posts
My first was an LC575, I think it was 33 Mhz 4 Gigs RAM and 160 Gig HD. When I purchased it I had never even started up or used a computer before. The salesman talked me into the LC575 instead of the LC475 because it had a CD ROM player and it looked like that was the way of the "future". The rest is history as I write this on my newly acquired eMac. I have owned many Macs since and still have every one accept the LC575. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
My first computer: Atari 400 with 4K RAM in 1981. I upgraded to 32K (!!) and got a floppy disk in 1982.

My first Mac compatible: Was an emulator that I built for the Atari ST in 1989. Ran faster than a Mac SE!

My First Actual Mac: Was a Mac Plus that I built out of a Mac Plus upgrade motherboard and some old parts from a Nortel DMS switch. Ran on a Monochrome multisync monitor that I had.

My First New Actual Mac: Power Mac 6100/DOS. Got a screaming deal on it ($2900!) in 1994, wanted to support the new PowerPC chips so I bought one... Still have this machine (along with a few other 6100's). It has a 266 G3 in it now...

Have about 50-60 Apples/Macs/Powerbooks now...

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
my first was a commadore 64 with a 5 1/4 floppy drive.
used to type in code, from a magazine I think, to create video games
I learned on a mac in college 1991 (IIsi, colour classics, etc)
I bought a LC640 in 1995 (sadly now in the basement)
a ppc 7300 in 1997 (brother in law now uses it for surfing)
a used g4 350 sawtooth in 2001(starting to slow with heavier Illustrator useage)
a used pb 667dvi in 2003
Looking at the g5 1.8 in the next year (or so)
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
The first computer I ever used was a Commodore Vic 20 with cassette drive.

The first computer I ever bought was, wait for it, a 386DX clone with 40MB hard drive and a 2400 baud modem back in the fall of 1992.

That lasted a few years and then I was computerless for a long while until I bought a Toshiba Tough Book in August 1999. I had wanted a Tangerine iBook, but they were not out yet and I was leaving for work in Bosnia.

I hated that laptop with the white-hot passion of a million burning stars. So...I bought myself my first Mac the following December...a top-of-the-line 500MHz G3 PowerBook running OS 9.0.4. To my dismay, they announced the first gen TiBook a few weeks later. Augh!!!

I am now on my second Mac...an 800MHz eMac with SuperDrive.

I hope a new PowerBook will come soon.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts