Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two printers - a Lexmark monochrome laser printer. I have purchased compatible/remanufactured toner cartridges in the past which often have black toner spatter on the page. Not good when you give a report to a design client. Use it mostly for internal copies.

I do need CMYK toner cartridges for my Lexmark colour printer CS317dn. It's very good and prints clean crisp images. But Lexmark no longer makes this unit. They want $249 Cdn for EACH cartridge!!! That’s $1000 for 4!! I can't afford that.

But I’m wary about buying a compatible/remanufactured cartridge for this unit. What’s your experience been? Is there a supplier that I can trust if the cartridge is bad? How to assure to get a quality product from a supplier in Canada?

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
I have purchased compatible/remanufactured toner cartridges in the past which often have black toner spatter on the page. Not good when you give a report to a design client. Use it mostly for internal copies.
I don't know where you purchased the replacement cartridge, but I would suggest contacting the supplier and see if they will not replace the smudging cartridge with a proper working one.

I do need CMYK toner cartridges for my Lexmark colour printer CS317dn.
The last time I purchased a toner cartridge was for my very old cannon serial LaserJet from 123ink.ca many many years ago, and then switched companies for much cheaper ink for my Canon inkjet.

But I see they have replacement toner cartridges for your Lexmark printer, with toner, in the $280 to $350 Canadian range and that's for 4 combo replacement toner cartridges.

Google search for some other Canadian suppliers and you might find a cheaper price, and all companies that I know of will stand behind their product and will replace any you have problems with. At least I have never had problems with any company not doing so.

You might also want to check out the price any local print shop might charge. Sometimes they can be very surprising reasonable, but maybe not as convenient as printing your own.

Just a thought for possible alternate printing.

If you are back East, maybe these folks could be cheaper or maybe cheaper shipping:

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
118 Posts
But I’m wary about buying a compatible/remanufactured cartridge for this unit. What’s your experience been? Is there a supplier that I can trust if the cartridge is bad? How to assure to get a quality product from a supplier in Canada?
I used to write the Printer chapter for The Macintosh Bible, so I have a LOT of experience in this area.

You are talking about a laser printer, so I'll confine my comments to laser printers, and not conflate things with inkjet printers.

One big secret that I found....I made friends with a guy with a huge toner cartridge refill service, and he confided that there are only two manufacturers, on the entire planet, of laser printer toner. What that means is that ALL raw toner, assuming that the correct formulation is chosen for your application, is of equal/high quality.

This means that the difference between toner cartridges is down to the quality of the toner cartridge "shell" and how well it is assembled.

My experience is that "remanufactured" toner cartridges simply don't offer the reliability that one might hope for. "Refilled" toner cartridges are a crapshoot. You don't know if the components of the shell are worn out. So that isn't really a reliable way to go either. At least not more than once.

What I have found to be really reliable, are places known for making very high quality "compatible" toner cartridges. That is, they use their own brand new shells, and fill them, and sell brand new toner cartridges that don't come from your printer's OEM manufacturer. Over the years I've found several places here in the U.S. that have a track record for selling very low priced (usually a tiny fraction of the cost of an OEM toner cartridge), amazingly high quality, "compatible" toner cartridges.

Now the bad news...as far as I know, none of these places ship to Canada. Which is a huge bummer for those of you in Canada. I've heard good things about this Canadian source, but I have no personal experience with them whatsoever, so if you try them, please let us know how things work out:

Pan Continent Inc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are remanufactured and compatible printer cartridges just as reliable as the name brand? Yes, most are just as reliable as the name brand, but do your research before settling on a particular cartridge provider.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Now the bad news...as far as I know, none of these places ship to Canada. Which is a huge bummer for those of you in Canada. I've heard good things about this Canadian source, but I have no personal experience with them whatsoever, so if you try them, please let us know how things work out:
Pan Continent Inc.
Thanks for the information. All very good to know. Seems Printoxe does ship to Canada but doesn't sell for that Lexmark printer. I did order 2 of the 4 colors from a Canadian supplier. At ONLY $99 (Cdn) each!
:sweatingbullets:
Will give that a try to see how they work. Here's hoping!

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Will give that a try to see how they work. Here's hoping!
I'm a bit late, but I was going to post, even though not related, that I have been purchasing my Canon inkjet replacement cartridges from Get High Quality Compatible Ink & Toner Cartridges and 3D Filament for several years now and have only had problems with one single cartridge not working properly which they immediately replaced.

Also their pricing has been hard to beat and if I recall correctly they also included free shipping, at least with my orders which were not huge, but maybe five combo XL sets maximum.

I am a very happy satisfied user, and I hope you end up being one as well.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 6 of 6 Posts