Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time I would love to read some stories from some members that recall insane prices they have paid for computers, ram, cdr drives, that joystick you had to have. You know who you are. Spill it. Also some of those unbelievable deal that you have made are also good to make me envious.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
$16,500 for a Laserwriter and a 512k Mac :eek:

$680 for a device that automatically loaded 5 floppies ( no hard drives eh )

$4,250 for a 20 gig External hard drive for a MacPlus

$9,270 for an accelerated MacSE30

You bring up an interesting point - how to measure the transfer of traditional "wealth" into technology which then depreciated to nothing.
Society got productivity out of it so now our toasters and Cd players cost almost nothing.
Would be a great thesis for an economy major. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mac II

Laserwriter
tape back up
Syquest drive
Scanner
Video card
40 meg HD
8 megs RAM

$10k

1987 ish

Unbelievable .. but it served me better and with the exception of the Beige I am writing on made me more do re me than any other computer I have ever owned...and lasted 10 years. Great box. Worth every penny!

ran everything i am running now.

PS
Illustrator
Office
Music
Video
etc etc

·
Registered
141 Posts
I remember spending $400 and change to MacWarehouse for a brand new external 4x CDROM drive for my LC475 when I was 14 or so... I didn't get it for Christmas, so I forced my mother drive me downtown on boxing day, and I got it the thing myself. I also remember spending $180 for a 16Mb RAM chip for the same machine.

I know, I know, compared to some of the coin MacDoc and other's have dropped, this pales in comparison, but for a 14 year old, that was serious cash!

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
You reminded me of a point where RAM was climbing early on - it hit $1000 for a 1 meg for a Mac II and a Toronto RAM supplier was confronted with armed robbers. :eek:
The subsequently moved into a old bank for security and you had to be buzzed in after a good looking over by closed circuit cameras.
I used to buy some 32 meg dimms from a guy for cash and we would exchange LARGE wads of cash for small packets in plastic.

Got some funny looks in the Swiss Chalet where we met. $600 for a 32..ouch.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I seem to recall there was an armed robery/hi-jacking back in the 80's of a truck full of memory from Seimens in West Germany.

And back in about 1995 there were smash and grab robbers busting into offices here and smashing open computers and just stealing the hard drives, memory and CPU's and fleeing on foot.

One of the dealers I get stuff from moved into an old Bank Of Nova Scotia branch, and they store basically everything in the vault.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
This is way back...
Brand new... Mac IIsi, Apple 12" Monitor, MOTU Performer...
$6000.00 !!

It gets funnier when you imagine the 8 megs of RAM, and the 40 Gb hard drive. Too funny!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh,

-Howie

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Hah! Thanks Lars!

40 megabyte!!

Habit.

-Howie

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
wow... I thought that i got ripped a few years ago. Nothing like I what I see here though. :eek:

Bought a x12 ext Lacie for $399 (after $100 off). Felt like a thief. Not even sure what's it's worth now.

H!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Every now and again I think back to the Intel 386 PC that I purchased new around 1990...for about $2300. That's about the same price as a PowerBook G4 today :eek:

·
Registered
224 Posts
A Mac IIvi 8/160 and french keyboard, $160 6 years ago in Grade 10, making $5 an hour.
I didn't realize it was french keyboard until I got home or that the process only ran at 16mhz or the HD couldn't be formatted with Apple utilities...

I thought I was buying a IIvx w/o a CD rom hence IIvi. Atleast a Perf 5200 came with a big monitor and cd rom. http://www.lowendmac.com/ii/iivi.shtml

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I was doing some cleaning up the other day and came across the receipt for my 7200/75 back in 1995 the bloody thing cost me 2500.00 for the comp itself another 100.00 for the keyboard and another 350.00 for an Apple 14" monitor that's 2950.00 before taxes :eek: I know it's not as much as Macdoc payed for his 512k Mac but at that point in my life I was in College and it was hard parting with that much money.

I'm keeping the receipt just as a reminder to shop around before doing anything stupid.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
$1200. for an Lc475 with 8 mb of RAM and a 250 mb
h.d. in 1994. (With the non FPU Motorola Processor).

$189. for Aldus Intellidraw that never released an
update or a later version.

$250. for a 14" Apple monitor that slowly died after the
warranty was up, Only monitor that I had that was a
poor buy from Apple.

I have never bought new a new Mac since the Lc475,
Used computers have always been the best way to go.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I came across some old receipts that were stashed away in a filing cabinet.

In 1987 it cost me $10,234 for a Zenith Z286 PC with 4mb Ram, an 80mb hard drive, one 360k floppy, one 1.2mb floppy, 256k ISA video card, NEC Multisync Monitor (I still have it) and an Okidata Microline U86 printer.

Later after I got my Apple IIgs, I paid $300 for a populated 4mb GSRam card for it, purchased at that (still unloved) MAC store on Queen St. by Spadina. I still remember them wanting $200 for a 4Mhz Transwarp accelerator for the IIe two years after Apple stopped making the Apple II series..

MrVermin

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
My first major computer purchase was for a PC (I investigated Macs at the time but they were even more money) ... Somewhere in the early 1990's I got a 486DX2 with 16MB RAM, 100MB HDD, CD, Floppy, NEC 17" (which still works as great now as it did then) HP scanner, some software and a WINPrinter (worst printer ever) for just over $14,000.00 - I eventally spent another $3-4K over the next couple months getting more memory and another HDD.

My worst single purchase was $1500 for a USED 100MB hard drive to use in my 386.

I wish I had that money now - what I could buy .. hmmm ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts