>
> If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who
dialed a
> wrong number, you live in Alberta .
>
> If "Vacation" means going anywhere south of Edmonton for the weekend,
> you live in Alberta .
>
> If you measure distance in hours, you live in Alberta .
>
> If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you
live
> in Alberta .
>
> If you have switched from "heat" to "air conditioning" and back again
in
> the same day, you live in Alberta .
>
> If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging
blizzard
> without flinching, you live in Alberta
>
> If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave
both
> unlocked, you live in Alberta .
>
> If you carry cable jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use
> them, you live in Alberta .
>
> If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit,
you
> live in Alberta .
>
> If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled
with
> snow, you live in Alberta .
>
> If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and
road
> construction, you live in Alberta .
>
> If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in
> Alberta .
>
> If you find 10 degrees Fahrenheit "a little chilly", you live in
Alberta
> .
>
> If you actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all your
> Alberta friends, you live in Alberta.

I could not agree more sometimes...:clap:
>

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
> If you find 10 degrees Fahrenheit "a little chilly", you live in
Alberta
I have no concept of what 10 degrees fahrenheit feels like.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I have no concept of what 10 degrees fahrenheit feels like.
And likewise I have no concept of what possible benefit to us the government intended when they changed to celsius.

A once warm temperature of plus 10 degrees fahrenheit became the supposedly bone chilling equivalent of minus 12 celsius. It turned winter into a totally negative experience for Canadians.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
And likewise I have no concept of what possible benefit to us the government intended when they changed to celsius.
Perhaps they recognized the value of a system of measurement that was internally consistent, rational, base-10 and widely used in science, engineering, and by the vast majority of citizens across the planet?

Just because you grew up with and got used to an archaic, irrational and idiosyncratic system doesn't mean you should saddle the future with it.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Perhaps they recognized the value of a system of measurement that was internally consistent, rational, base-10 and widely used in science, engineering, and by the vast majority of citizens across the planet?

Just because you grew up with and got used to an archaic, irrational and idiosyncratic system doesn't mean you should saddle the future with it.

Cheers
You know you've been to Alberta if you think the use of "saddle" in the above reply has only a tinge of irony.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,642 Posts
You know you are in Alberta if you have communities with a population of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians second only in size to St.John's, NL. Sad, but all too true.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts

Cheers
Last I checked the fahrenheit scale was exactly the same as it has been ever since it was established. Is that "consistent" enough for you? ;)

The fact remains that I firmly believe that the negative effect on Canadians minds living under the celsius scale contributes to their growing "winter blues problem".

Like I said when one is told on the radio forecast "it is a balmy plus 10" on arising one morning versus the "bundle up it's -12 out there" gang speaks for itself in terms of mental health. We have far too much negativity in this world without unnecessarily creating more.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,642 Posts
It took me a few years, but now, after 30 years in Canada, I am able to think in Celsius. Metric length is OK, and weight is a bit of a stretch. Liquid measurements are still a mystery to me, since I still think in ounces, cups, etc.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
There's what, 17 points there? I can relate to 10 of them.

Guess I'm from Alberta. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Haha, so true! I lived in Alberta for 5 years so it all rings true, especially hitting deers more than once and more mileage on the snowmobile. :lmao:

I prefer Celsius, since 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling. Can't get any easier to understand, although I think in inches and pounds.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I prefer Celsius, since 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling. Can't get any easier to understand, although I think in inches and pounds.
There's no question that the metric system is far better in every rational respect (I especially like that the units interrelate well (1 cubic centimeter of water is 1 ml, weighs 1 gram, and requires 1 kcal of energy to raise it's temperature 1 degree, for example). However, I think we're all inherently irrational about our bodies, so we stick to describing ourselves with antique measurements because they 'sound' good and we have some 'feeling' for them.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Nope, just back to fahrenheit. And the name is SINC, not Sync. ;)
Based on that attitude perhaps Pounds Shillings and Pence would be more attractive to you than the decimal system of the Dollar.

How about quart, pecks, bushels and barrels they make as much sense as Fahrenheit temperatures.

The way I figure it I can now face plus 10 degrees with a smile instead of a grimace.

How cold is it when it's -12 degrees C and plus 10 degrees F if you don't know the temperature. :confused:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Wow! All True except...

I went to DQ all year round. That must be an Edmonton thing.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,642 Posts
You Live in Alberta when... you get a dividend check in the mail from the provincial government.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts