Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows worm spreads rapidly
Security experts say the new "Blaster/ LoveSan" worm that exploits an unusually dangerous flaw in Windows software is spreading quickly across the Internet and could pose a serious risk to PC home computers.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I guess it is nice when you're using a platform that's obscure enough that most (if not all) virus writers simply ignore it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Heres a funny one.I read about it at home on Monday,came into work today and 2 of our "software techs" were conversing about how their XP kept telling them to shut down for no reason and how it made no sense.

I promptly rose from my prarie dog hole to inform them they had a new worm and to patch their systems.Oh how sweet it is.The lonely Mac guy out performs again. :D

No but really,I like my co-workers.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Its been a matter of time until this worm showed up. Microsoft has had a patch available for about a month now too. Also the worm / benign virus was not coded very well, and like the original version of Code Red is progressing very slowly. Most security experts are scared as to when the tweak will be made (like the tweaked version of Code Red) and the virus/worm will spread like wildfire and actually doing something worse then say: Billy Gates, stop paying yourself and fix your software, and causing your computer to restart.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
On a semi-related note:

Last weekend I got an email "ALLEGEDLY" from [email protected] warning that my email adresses were about to expire and to read the attached file...

Suspicious by nature I called Sympatico before opening {not too worried as few PC Virus' attack Macs, but why chance it}

Sympatico immediatly disavowed sending this Virus but ia aware of the problem and for $5.99 a month they will rent me virus protection {First month free to boot...}

I told them I already use Virex, the agent replied that is impossible because I would not have gotten the email if I was using Virus software.... So I should sign up right away for their protection...

After hanging up, I checked virex and it seems to be runing....

I can't say I like an ISP's not being more upset that a Virus is pretending to be a system announcement

and

using the situation to attempt a hard sell money grab...

·
Registered
762 Posts
There was also [email protected] did the same to me, expiring e-mail............they must think I'm really stupid!!!

It's also people that don't set up a Firewall. I've come across a lot of people at work that have no Firewall set up at all!! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Hey, RtC!

I've been asking for awhile now, and nobody has been able to give me a straight answer. What Mac virus?

Last month Sophos released their major virus infection report, putting the first Mac virus on their list at number 78 in their ranking of occurances. But Sophos never identified the virus, nor did they indicate whether it was OS X or OS 9.

I've poked through the Mcaffee site, the Norton site, etc. etc., and unless I'm blind, there ain't nothin' out there.

So let me ask again: Apart from those lovely Micro$loth macro virii, what are / is the real virus threat to the Mac?

Fifty points to anyone who can answer this!

:cool:
M

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sputnik... I had the same thing happen to me on Monday.

I was in the office, where we have one or two Windows machines and the rest are all Macs. I'm busy working away and my workmate suddenly exclaims "What's going on? My computer says it's going to shut down!"

I turn to him and ask "When was the last time you ran Windows Updates?" He couldn't answer that. I tried to put him on the private network that most of the Macs share (he was on a public IP) but his Windows XP wouldn't hear of it. Anyway, long story short, I had to make sure he only grabbed the updates pertaining to the RPC exploit and quickly unplug his net cable as soon as it finished transferring. This took four or five attempts, since whomever had targetted his IP (our office netblock is pretty "visible") kept running the exploit.

Ahh well. I was entertained. Even aborting the shutdown left Windows crippled and unable to run the updates or anything else. Much fun.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The biggest problem is not the worm.. it's the stupid people that don't update their OS..

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. Don't make it like there are no Mac virus out there.. there are Mac virus and it's just time before someone gets the bright idea to put "Mac" folks in their places in regards to a virus..

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Symantec has posted a removal tool for the suckers that got nailed: Removal Tool Page

I'm surprised this worm only affects XP and 2000 considering many people use 98 still, and the flaw is in all versions of Windows.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
It's ironic to hear the news stories discussing the supposed devastation and desparate responses of companies to mitigate the effects of this worm, to hear it infects an unprotected Win2K or XP machine within 25 mins of switching on and then to hear an advert from M icrosoft extolling the virtues of upgrading to XP Professional.

"Don't be left out from the infection party - you can be host to a worm in minutes - upgrade now!"

While its a good feeling to poke fun at the Windows world, these things are a real pain and do affect everyone to some degree. Although the "admin" email didn't execute on Macs, it meant I was deluged by Microsoft Exchange emails from people running Windows who had succumbed to the virus.

BTW, I ran Virex 7.2 yesterday. 250,000 odd files checked. Zero infections. Doesn't hurt to check once in a while but it does seem like overkill compared to the necessity of anti-virus software and behaviour in the PC world. I wonder how much that adds to cost of operation of a Windows machine compared to a Mac?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2003 Server are also vulnerable...

I've also read on the security lists that there is a another version of this worm hitting some machines.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2003 Server are also vulnerable...

Yeah, but no one really uses either of those OS's anymore/yet.

And if everyone ran WindowsUpdate more often then this virus would have been a non issue. If anything, this proves the laziness of the average windows user rather than the ineptitude of Microsoft (who had a patch to fix the vulnerability available in the first half of July).

--PB

·
Registered
153 Posts
PosterBoy.. Admins do have quite a handfull when it comes to keeping a network up and running.. some admins don't have the time to update their clients/servers 24/7
(let alone dealing with PC end users
24/7 )

·
Registered
107 Posts
Me thinks you would be surprised how many places still run NT 4.0. Only a couple of months back I upgraded a client's network from NT 4.0 Server to Windows 2000 Server. Which reminds me, I need to call them... sigh... :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts