Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I finally got around to updating from Mavericks to Yosemite, 10.10.2, on my MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz. Everything so far seems to be fine, except that I get "communication error" when I try to print on my Epson CX8400. The Apple App store has no updated Epson drivers waiting to be installed, and the Epson site just sends me to the App store to get the most recent driver. I'm stuck in a loop. I tried uninstalling the printer, with the idea of installing the driver from the App store, but "removing" it in system preferences didn't remove it, and dragging the printer icon from the Library folder to trash (and restarting the computer) hasn't uninstalled it, either.

How can I get the updated driver when Apple appears to be saying I don't need it, and Epson is saying that I do and that I should get it from Apple?

Help, please!

·
Premium Member
15,506 Posts
Did you try saying to heck with their suggestions and just download the software yourself and it seems there's compatible software here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1792?locale=en_CA

I'd make sure the old software or at least the Epson CX8400 printer is removed from the Print & Fax or whatever Yosemite calls the printer System Preference first and then restart the Mac and do the download/install.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That worked! Thanks so much for the link. When I searched for the driver, Apple kept sending me to the app store. So I'm glad that it can be bypassed somehow.

·
Premium Member
15,506 Posts
Ahhh yes, that Apple App Store where one almost always needs to use a Google search to find what one is looking for there. :D

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Although having to download a 1.2 GB compendium af all Epson drivers to make a single printer work seems a bit excessive :)

·
Premium Member
15,506 Posts
Not only is Apple's printer installer/update method excessive, it's also stupid. And often for every model that was ever produced, whether one uses any or not.

One can often save GBs of drive space by deleting un-needed printer software and it's bits and pieces, but one shouldn't even need to. We usually just need the software drivers for our printers we use thanks Apple, not every bleeding model ever produced!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts