Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the US right now. I'm staying a week so I'll get the customs exemption. Despite all the negative stuff I read I have good reason to want an iPad. So, why not buy one in the US while I'm here. I can think of these reasons:

1. Even without the PST / GST / HST charge I will still pay state tax and the exchange rate (massively magnified by my credit card). That doesn't bother me too much. Maybe a break even at worst. Also very uncertain about Canadian pricing. It irks me heavily that I may pay $599 for something I could have bought for $499 US even with exchange.:

2. Service. The Apple website says products purchased in one country may not be serviced in other countries. So if I buy an iPad in the US how likely is it that I can get it serviced in Canada? I haven't seen an answer to this here.

3. This whole US / Canadian store account business. I understand I can use the US account for now and maybe switch to the Canadian account later but if it is a hassle I'd sooner wait the extra week and buy at home.

That all said, I could use it here in the US tomorrow if I had one, so can anyone help me mostly with concerns 2 and 3 above?

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
We don't know Canadian pricing. Exchange is great right now.

Apple services laptops (mobile) products anywhere they have representation.

Store really should not be an issue.

If you are going to get there really isn't a strong reason nip to do so now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm typing this on my US bought iPad and really couldn't be happier. The servicing really should not be an issue as noted above and as for the app store issue I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up a US itunes account so im making due with the apps it came with for now (safari, mail, YouTube, etc are more than enough to keep me busy for the next couple weeks). I say get one!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought mine in NH with no state tax. I have a feeling that the prices in Canada will be at least $50 more expensive. Make use of your personal exemption and buy it there. If you decide you don't want it, it'll be an easy resell... At least until they release it here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Buy it. You'll love it.
I bought mine in Buffalo on release day. I find the more I use it the happier I am that I bought it. I've got this feeling that as more people get their hands on these, the possibilities for their use will continue to grow (ie new apps etc.).
I sometimes struggle/get frustrated when people tell me its just a large iPhone or iPod. Maybe today it is, but I everyday I find different ways to use it and enjoy it the more I have it in my hands.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I think that they strategically kept stock levels high for Buffalo despite the reported shortages elsewhere. There is a certain volume of Canadians that are buying them and in the end, it's better for them to sell through to the Canadians in Buffalo because its revenue right away and not through their Canadian subsidiary.

Apple does what it does and I'm thinking that they don't even try to influence the financial markets (they in fact constantly understate their future performance), leaving analysts wowed when they constantly beat their earnings estimates.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My buddy was in Florida on business and picked up my 64GB on Thursday. The duty on the $699 64GB iPad was only $48. You can DO EEEEEEEEET! :))

·
Registered
61 Posts
As for the app store issue - it's true that not all iPad apps are available in the Canadian itunes store, but if you log in via iTunes on your Mac or PC (as opposed to directly on the iPad), and search "iPad" you'll find a bunch of apps that have been specifically designed or redesigned for the iPad.

App store is a non-issue, unless you don't want to buy the iPad until you can get iWork and iBooks for it.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
2. Service. The Apple website says products purchased in one country may not be serviced in other countries. So if I buy an iPad in the US how likely is it that I can get it serviced in Canada? I haven't seen an answer to this here.
You will get REFUSED any service whatsoever here in Canada until such time as the iPad goes on sale here (which could just be a matter of two weeks from now). This should be obvious: there will be no parts or qualified technicians for iPads here until after they launch in Canada.

I don't see this is a serious issue, however.

3. This whole US / Canadian store account business.
You're probably best having a US iTunes account for a variety of reasons at the present time. It's easy to get one, Apple apparently doesn't mind, and the choices are better. You can sign out of your US account and sign into your Canadian iTunes account if you want both (I believe; haven't done it myself).

I understand I can use the US account for now and maybe switch to the Canadian account later but if it is a hassle I'd sooner wait the extra week and buy at home.
Depends on your definition of "hassle."

·
Registered
93 Posts
"Duty"

The duty on the $699 64GB iPad was only $48.
Since there has been a lot of discussion (and angst) from people about what one will be paying on an imported iPad coming across the border, let's be accurate on what is charged and what the charges are for.

There are no "duties" charged on computers and electronics coming imported into Canada. You only have to pay PST/GST.

By the way, I purchased a 32GB iPad in the Seattle area (Alderwood Mall Apple Store) on Friday. They had all models in stock at the time. I've enjoyed using mine. I was in the US for about 30hrs on the trip (was with my parents, therefore 3 people in our party) when I returned at the Pacific Hwy border crossing. Together, we brought back $950 of goods (iPad included), declared that value and the border agent did not bat an eye or even ask what was purchased and just waved us on up the road without charging any taxes! Got really lucky, I'd say!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry let me requalify. My buddy was in the US for 48 hours so was entitled to only a $400 exemption. He was bringing the 64gb iPad and dock through. Total was $797. Less exemption of $400 he paid PST and GST on $397 which totaled $48. So yes taxes only NO duty. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Having a US iTunes is convenient indeed. I will say that updating Apps in the US store is a PITA. You have to log out of the CDN store and log into the US store just to update, a little inconvenient imo, especially once the same app is available in the CDN store. Otherwise that little notification number in iTunes doesn't go away. If you're OCD, this can be a life altering event.

Now for Apps that are US only that you really enjoy, it's definitely worth the small hassle.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Having a US iTunes is convenient indeed. I will say that updating Apps in the US store is a PITA. You have to log out of the CDN store and log into the US store just to update, a little inconvenient imo, especially once the same app is available in the CDN store. Otherwise that little notification number in iTunes doesn't go away. If you're OCD, this can be a life altering event.

Now for Apps that are US only that you really enjoy, it's definitely worth the small hassle.
I have both a US account and Canadian account on my iPhone. When I need to do an update I get asked to put in the password for the required account (depending on which store the app is from). Since I usually buy from the Canadian store that is where I am usually logged in. If the app is Canadian the update goes ahead, if the app is US I get a dialog saying that my account is only good for the Canadian store. I go back to the app store and re-initiate the update, enter the password again and it goes ahead. I don't have to log out of one store to update in the other, just try twice and enter the password twice. Not really a hassle.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I go back to the app store and re-initiate the update, enter the password again and it goes ahead. I don't have to log our of one store to update in the other, just try twice and enter the password twice. Not really a hassle.
I will have to try that. I did notice this to be an option last time I updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not available after all

Thanks for th eadvice folks. After all that, the local Apple store was out of stock. Now I have to wait for late May.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
If you ask a buddy in the States to pick one up for you, be sure they take precautions...

Man loses part of finger in iPad theft

A thief's thirst for a brand new iPad cost a Colorado man not only a much-coveted device but also two-thirds of a pinky finger.

Doctors had to amputate part of Bill Jordan's left pinky after a man Thursday yanked away a bag containing an iPad that Mr. Jordan had just purchased at a Denver mall.
Mr. Jordan, of Aurora east of Denver, said he had no idea anyone was following him when he left the Apple store at Cherry Creek Mall, and he didn't expect to be robbed of his purchase in broad daylight.

Mr. Jordan said he had purchased the tablet computer for a friend in Canada, where the iPad is not yet available for purchase. He hasn't had a chance to tell his friend yet.
(Globe & Mail)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for th eadvice folks. After all that, the local Apple store was out of stock. Now I have to wait for late May.
which location was this? buffalo? thats the one im planning on going to on the 30th to get the 16gb, however, i just found out that the 3g one is coming in on the same day!

so either, that means two things:
1)increased stock
2)stock is going to go out fast

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
They are having deliveries daily.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts