Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Boatloads of Cheapo PC laptops have cheapo Intel processor that don't support Virtualization, which is what Windows 7 uses for "Windows XP Mode" - Think Rosetta only worse - and helps people transition to Windows 7 from XP easier than they could with Vista.

This is made even funnier by the fact that all those "I got a 17" HP Laptop for $699" Laptop Hunter Windows commercials are now gonna be bull, 'cause pretty much none of those laptops will run Windows XP mode in Windows 7 - something all Macs will do. :D

Some Intel chips don't support Windows 7 'XP mode' | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7? | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
For what it's worth Windows XP Mode is available to people running: Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions - none of which you'd find on the "cheap" laptops. More than likely you'll find Starter Edition or Home Premium as Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate are all aimed at businesses or prosumer users - and XP Mode would have the most play in Enterprise setups where legacy in house applications may only run on Windows XP or older.

Windows 7 Home Premium is the recommended choice for consumers. It gives them a full-function PC experience and a visually rich environment in everything from the way they experience entertainment to the way they connect their devices.
Source: Windows 7 Lineup Offers Clear Choice for Consumers and Businesses: Q&A: Windows General Manager Mike Ybarra discusses how Windows 7 editions are being designed to make buying simple, while serving the needs of more than 1 billion customers worldwide.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Hmm not sure if I needed XP mode anyway. I've been running 7 beta since last year without issues. CS3 worked fine, Office as well and all the other 3rd party apps I need to run.

I suspect my copy of GM service source and my Code Reader tools might not work but I keep an old Toughbook for that.

Have had 7 RC on for a couple of days without issue as well. Weird desktops.

In this months Linux Pro magazine they ran a small pie chart of OS usage. Windows had by far the largest percentage followed by pirated copies of Windows then Linux and Mac with very small slivers of the pie....

·
Registered
78 Posts
How do they figure out the pirated copies of Windows? I know browsers can obtain OS information such as which OS and which version, but pirated copies are the same versions as genuing copies.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
How do they figure out the pirated copies of Windows? I know browsers can obtain OS information such as which OS and which version, but pirated copies are the same versions as genuing copies.
Serial numbers....

·
Registered
78 Posts
That wouldn't work.

You couldn't get that data unless you were Microsoft, and even then, if that worked people would be locked out of Microsoft downloads for not being genuine, but there is a crack against that. So if it was just a simple case of serial numbers they would easily be able to lock out pirates, but that isn't the case.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
That wouldn't work.

You couldn't get that data unless you were Microsoft, and even then, if that worked people would be locked out of Microsoft downloads for not being genuine, but there is a crack against that. So if it was just a simple case of serial numbers they would easily be able to lock out pirates, but that isn't the case.
The source..... Steve Ballmer of Microsoft...... how they collected the data is not mentioned however I think it naive to think that they can't track this data.....

The chart and story is here, Ballmer: Linux Bigger Competitor than Apple.

The most notable quote,

Much more interesting is Microsoft's idea of Linux and Apple, According to Microsoft, Linux is a bigger threat to the company than Apple, placing Linux above Apple in the marketshare figure pie chart thing. "Linux, you could see on the slide, and Apple has certainly increased its share somewhat," Ballmer said. He went on to explain how the company views Apple:

I think depending on how you look at it, Apple has probably increased its market share over the last year or so by a point or more. And a point of market share on a number that's about 300 million is interesting. It's an interesting amount of market share, while not necessarily being as dramatic as people would think, but we're very focused in on both Apple as a competitor, and Linux as a competitor.
As much as I find Ballmer a rather annoying figure, he does score a major point here. About 300 million PCs were shipped worldwide in 2008. Round and about 9-10 million of those were Macs. Apple's market share might be increasing, but it's still relatively irrelevant compared to the bigger picture. As we said yesterday, Apple might be doing swell in the United States, but on a worldwide scale, Cupertino still falls a bit to the wayside.

In any case, it appears that Linux (and piracy) is a larger blip on Microsoft's radar than Apple, and it's not hard to see why. With an economy that's not doing very well, people will opt for cheaper products. Apple cannot offer those, but Linux and piracy can.

It's interesting that Microsoft has been releasing Windows 7 beta and now the RC to the public and gaining a fair bit of press about it.

K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts