Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm typing from my first mac...got it in the mail today. Thanks to imactheknife! :D :D So right away it tells me up update Jag with the updater...but ive read that after ppl use this update on their ibooks they go weird on them. Like their logic board stops working or other problems like that so I'm kind of weary to update. Anyone have any advice?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
The best advice I can give you...
Turn off the Software update control panel (Uncheck it)
It's better to do a manual search for updates.

That's what I have done...It'll save you a lot of headaches.

OSX 10.2.6 is all you need.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question...I just downloaded MSN for mac...and it's working and stuff but now there's the dlded DMG file on the desktop as well as what looks like a disk drive saying MSN 3.5.1 ...what I wanna know is can i delete that DMG file now and is that disk drive thing gonnna go away at some point? Am i supposed to do something with it? a little mac clueless here...
thanks

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
is that disk drive thing gonnna go away at some point?
You can drag it to the trash can...The trash can will
automatically change to an eject button and the imaginary
disk will disappear when you let it go on top of the icon of
the eject button.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
DMGs are a little controversial in the realm of software distribution, because a DMG will mount and you can access the program, *but* if a user doesn't read the instructions (Copy (insert name of Application) to Applications folder), upon a restart, the disk image disappears. It is only temporary. Internet Enabled Disk Images, will however mount and copy the contents to the desktop and dispose of itself. This is much better in my opinion.

So, frompc2mac, you can throw away the .dmg and eject the disk image whenever you want, but you have to "install" MSN Messenger on your Mac first by copying it into the Applications folder. (Pretty easy install, eh? No registry, no Next buttons to push, etc.)

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome to the good side!
The thing that looks like a disk drive is a mounted disk image, so it's sort of like downloading a disk (DMG is the disk image file). So as soon as you get the files you need from the disk image, so can "eject" the disk (drag to the trash, or control-click / right-click to get the contextual menu that says "Eject"), and then trash the DMG file if you don't need it anymore.
The disk will unmount itself when you shut down and remount when you double-click the DMG file.
Probably could have said this better, but I haven't slept much...

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
You know this early in the Mac game you should jump right to Panther. You'll just be thrilled. Worth every penny and you'll avoid 10.2.8
We have banned 10.2.8 here and luckily have aspare 10.2.7 around.
Panther or 10.2.7.....'tis the law in MacDocdom :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Welcome to the world of no viruses and FUN!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THanks for the help guys! Yeah that was an easy install. Its one of those so simple i would never think to do it like that kind of easy.
its great. And I'm filling out the forms to order Panther right now! :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
macdoc,

What is wrong with 10.2.8, I'm using it without problems...should I be looking to move back to 10.2.7 and why?

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
IF you are using 10.2.8 successfully then leave well enough alone but we've just seen too many issues here and heard too many problems.

It's erratic and I don't know why :confused:

10.2.7 was the G5 inaugural system and perhaps they put more into it and then stumbled with 10.2.8 overlapping the Panther initiative.

What IS the situation with ongoing Jaguar support? Being left hanging on 10.2.8 seems of planned obsolescence. :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm...i've got another question..first...where can i get a 10.2.6 or 10.2.7 update? second...when i open a folder full of picture files....is there a way to make them thumbnails inside the folder? (like with windows xp) annd how do i arrange icons? :D thanks

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
A word about Onyx and other utilities like Cocktail.

macdoc and a few others here swear that running it every day should be done, while others like myself hardly ever run it.

UNIX is an operating system that was designed to run for long periods of time (read weeks and months), so it has special scripts that run in order to reclaim memory, and in general keep the system running in the best shape possible.

These scripts are designed to run at low point hours, when most users aren't on the system, or in the case of home systems for the most part, not turned on.

Running these utilities will clean these files and keep your machine in tip top shape. How often you run them is up to you, but you'll hear anecdotal evidence from many members here about how often to run it.

Personally I just let it run through once a month or so if I remember, as the system runs great anyway.

Also, defragging is a thing of the past. No more Windows defrag! Mac OS X 10.3 even does automatic defragging for files less then 20MB! Do a search on ehMac for defragging to find more details, and also do a search for Onyx and you'll find details among many threads (there isn't 1 comprehensive thread on either issue however, its split among many.)

Hope this helps. Keeping your machine maintained is always good, and how often is up to you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
umm...bit of a problem. When i dld 10.2.6 it says "verification failed" at the end and then i can't install it. What's going on?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Where did you download 10.2.6 from? That's an error I haven't seen in a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I updated from Apple using the link Timothy J gave me.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Did you grab the normal update or the combo update?

The combo update is much better then the normal updates when jumping multiple revisions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
combo update. I dlded it agian too but i get the same error. :( At least I have highspeed.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
A verification error is an error that usally means you have downloaded a corrupt disk image, or something is not right with the image.

You may have to download the 10.2.5 combo update, and then download the normal 10.2.6 update. Very strange that it won't verify. Very strange indeed. That's the first time, I've ever heard of an Apple disk image put together wrong. (Not including times when Apple has released bad software updates *cough* 10.2.8 *cough*)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts