Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just downloaded the Canon Scanner driver for the N650U (toolbox v. 3.8.0). Will let you know how / if it works.

I've been monitoring the OS X information page, which has this driver listed as available in "November 2002"... and since today is Dec. 1st, I thought I'd send a little reminder to Canon. While looking for an email link (they don't make it easy, do they?), I stumbled across this tech support page:

http://www.canon.ca/english/customs...search=1^p_search_type=dflt^p_sort_by% 3Ddflt

...which says the N650U is supported. The file was created Nov. 27th (though the OS X info page still hasn't been updated). Cross your fingers....

M.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
YES!

I can now scan natively in OS X from within Photoshop!

Much as I appreciate the effort of the programmer who put together "VueScan", the interface is just too unwieldy. The CanoScan toolbox window is nice and comfy.

The only thing I miss is the ability to launch a stand-alone canon toolbox, particularly from the front button on the scanner. Still, this is a huge help for those of us with older scanners....

'course, it only took Canon more than a year to get this out... :mad:

M.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It should. The driver seems to be a TWAIN thingy. I haven't installed it for my 646U or my 1220U yet, though.

-SJ.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Whups.

"Please note that Adobe PhotoShop Version 7.0 will be required to use this plug-in. "

Maybe not... I'll do some experimenting, though.

-SJ.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Alllllllright!

Woo Hoo!

Canon N656U - Supported Tested and Works........

OS X Transition Complete !
So long OS 9 my friend, I knew you well.

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Hey Hey Hey. - Good Bye! -

Thanks for the link, and a head start on my holiday scanning.

<This twain driver does need some minor OS X GUI updates but as long as it works I'm happy>

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm...

It works fine in Photoshop 7.0.1 (anyone with v. 7.0, be sure to get the updater from Adobe).

However, although the CanoScan toolbox launches and will do a preview in GraphicConverter, my copy of GC crashes ("unexpectedly quit") before the scan is complete.

I will upgrade to a newer version of GraphicConverter (currently using 4.5) to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone else out there manage to get the CanoScan 3.8.0 driver working with GC?

M.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks for teh update, I d/l'd the driver but haven't had the chance to test it out yet (I have an earlier version of GC so I'm not optimistic but I will give it a try in the next day or so).

As pleased as I am to see Canon release a driver, I've been pretty happy with how well the Canoscan Toolbox works in Classic. So far I haven't had any problems scanning with my N650U in Classic and then bouncing the image to whatever graphics app I want to work in.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mycatsnameis (crusher!),

Yep, the CanoScan toolbox certainly does work fine in Classic, but I'm trying to move completely away from OS 9. My iBook has a teeny-tiny 3.2 gig hard drive, so dumping the system folder for OS 9 would save me over 200mb (probably closer to 300, once I turf all of the other OS 9 applications and hangers-on).

The Canon Scanner driver is the last thing I needed... well, mostly. The other missing things I can live without for now (like a terminal dialup program... is ZTerm or something like it available for OS X?).

Hmmmm. guess that means I should do some deleting this evening.... if y'all don't hear from me for a few days, you'll know what happened!

M

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yea, I agree about VueScan, the interface could use some work. However, it is pretty darn powerful for $40.00 US and resurected my Microtek ScanMaker III.

All in all I am thrilled to be able to scan again. I cannot afford to buy yet ANOTHER :eek: scanner.

I'd recommend VueScan to anyone in a heartbeat if their scanner manufacturer is trying to force their equipment into an early grave :rolleyes: .

Cheers all.
B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help Canoscan 3000EX

can we use this scanner with Mac 10.5.5 Intel Processor?
What driver we need to install, appreciate your tips.
regards,
minimac08:lmao:

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP CanoScan3000EX on Vuescan

use the demo version on my macmini but it keeps open the image capture's scan /browse device, anything wrong/overlooked? please help.
thanks, minimac08:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts