Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building a rack to house all of our server equipment and hopefully one day it will accomodate an Xserve. The rack will house a Sawtooth G4, a couple of PC's two routers, Monitor, etc.

We are just in the design process, but I have a feeling that the project is going to move along much faster that we originally expected.

I am a partner in a small fabrication shop, so design constraints are not an issue.

If my fellow ehMacians can come up with some really cool suggestions as to the design of the rack, I might incorporate it into the design. I was thinking of lasercutting our company logo into the side and backlighting it.

Any other suggestions?

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Hey, make sure you have some room on the insides for some sound proofing foam. The Xserve is LOUD.

Won't matter if you put it in a room with nobody around but if you do as you suggested and keep it in your office you are going to go insane!

You really need to come and see my industrial rack I use for my servers. That will give you plenty of ideas and the right way to do it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I was thinking of lasercutting our company logo into the side and backlighting it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that seems like a really cool idea and I would love to see what it looks like once it's done.

You want to make sure you have lots of air flow for these pusspies depending on how many servers you plan on installing and how many you can forsee implementing in the future.

Make sure you take the design aspects of the Xserve into consideration as they are larger than most snap/blade servers, plus I would have to agree with MacGenious as they are loud so make sure you incorportate some sound dampners to kill the sound, however since you are in a fabrication shop, ths noise level of the xserves is probably like a whisper to you

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Racks are a standard design, you should be able to find many resources that outline the specs.

The racks used for computers are essentially identical to those used in radio & broadcast, recording studios, and lab equipment.

The specs go back decades; it's 19" centre-to-centre for the mounting holes, and (I think) 1 15/16" height per rackspace. A 1U server takes up one rackspace; a 4U model would be 4x 1 15/16" high, etc.

Mounting holes are spaced a designated distance apart. For some quick info, check out Hammond Manufacturing.

Hammond

Looks like 1U is 1.75".

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. However, I have rack specs and we will be building the rack according to these specs.

What I am really interested in doing is to build a truly creative rack that doesn't look like every other mass produced rack.

So come on people get those creative juices flowing and lets try to think of something no one has ever seen before. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts