Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/7849191.htm

For gamers, the new Xbox will be impressive, giving them the ability to play fast-action, realistic 3-D games on a high-definition TV set. Microsoft's emissaries have told industry developers and publishers that the next Xbox will be ready to launch in fall 2005 with the following specifications:

• Three IBM-designed 64-bit microprocessors. The combined power of these chips means the Xbox Next will have more computing power than most personal computers. Earlier versions of these PowerPC chips are used in Apple Computer's high-end G5 PowerMac machines now.
Sounds like Microsoft is turning to IBM for their new Xbox.

This may be good news for Apple, in that if someone else is interested and buying PowerPCs, IBM may be able to produce PowerPC chips cheaper, and may keep up or even improve their aggressive schedule of developing the PowerPC.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Not only that but Sony is also using the G5 in their next Playstation 3 machine
That measns millions of XBox and PS3 gamers will help tosubsidize the cost of R&D at IBM and hopefully lowering the cost of CPUs for ournew Macs.

Goody!

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the demise of the PPC, there are tons of PPC applications in embedded environments. In many cases, the cores are basically the same as the CPU counterparts.

We use them all through the products at my company. I can't recall the part numbers, but several of modules that I support use PPC compilers.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The PS3 will indeed be using the G5 (or next generation after that), I hadn't heard which chip the XBOX yet, besides that it will be from IBM.

The bigger deal about the XBOX (from a game-centric point of view) if you ask me is that they decided to go with ATI for the graphics processor instead of nVidia.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Minnes,

Where did you hear/read that Sony will be using a G5 based IBM chip in the playstation 3? I find that really intereseting that both macines will end up with the same or similar chips to power them. That would be unprecidented in the console world(as far as i know atleast)

Cheers :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts