Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Found another one.

Try

xclock

It is simular to the terminal and you can find a Manual for these applications by using

man xclock

man xeyes

----

Does anyone know how to list all the applications preloaded and available in x11?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Heart wrote:
Does anyone know how to list all the applications preloaded and available in x11?

All of the X11 applications can be found in /usr/X11R6/bin/. Some of the applications in there, though, aren't intended for end-user use, though.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Thanks for the "prodding", RtC! Just finished D/L'ing and installing X11 & OpenOffice. Launched and ran fine on my FrankenMac 9600/G4/400. I'm pleased as punch. Going to take this beast into the office over the coming weekend and test printing on the network to a couple of laser printers. I'll post results.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
RtC,
what makes you say you're sure you'll be able to add lots of fonts?
Having tried Linux in the past and found the font situation in X11 there to be crazy, I am not as confident as you are.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:
See Here:

Using OS X Fonts in OpenOffice.

:cool:

--PB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very encouraging!
"where there's a will, there's a way" - I'd say with MS Office costing $700, there's definitely a big will.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
On the titled topic,
ImageMagick installs via Fink and requires x11. I used it to batch convert a directory of 16-bit black and white tiffs from my scanner to jpegs, with a simple csh script.
GnuCash is a great quicken-like program - seems very stable and handles imported QIF files from my PDA nicely. I wonder if we'll see X11 apps in the next "Power of X"?
X11 starts up a LOT faster than XDarwin; its now a candidate for "Login Items".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts