Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if I should make the jump to X.2 on my Pismo (400, 256), but don't know if it can really handle it. I've tried searching the old posts in ehMac for insight into how X.2 is working for other Pismo owners, but am coming up dry. Any testimonials/recommendations/suggestions would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Islander has it running well on his Pismo and there are a few more....but mine just won't go for it. I spent almost two weeks wrestling with the balky cat on my 400/384mg RAM/20gig HD. No go.

Could be that I have some bad RAM and the HD is also suspect, because Jaguar couldn't seem to find my drive about 14 times out of the sixteen tries I made at installing. When I did get it up and running it was dog slow and classic never worked....so all of my peripherals were unavailable to me.

I'm back on 9.2.2 now, and happy as a clam. I am going to try installing OSX.2 again when I get my new external HD up and running. I'll keep everyone posted if it is a success.

BTW- I am determined that OSX is the way to go. I just have to convince my Pismo of that fact. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Mine seems to be fine. Although, I'm just about to gut it and add some juice. Just got my hands on the unit (been a few months now), but it seems to be running fine. 'Bout to bump my ram to 512+ and a new HD. But I'm not as comfy with Jaguar yet. Still getting around it. I like so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
Mine seems to be fine. Although, I'm just about to gut it and add some juice. Just got my hands on the unit (been a few months now), but it seems to be running fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's good to know. Any problems with speed/performance? What kinds of apps have you been running?

Thanks for getting back.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I've had Jaguar installed on my Pismo for a few months, and I'm glad I installed it. There have been slight improvements in performance, and from what I have read, there are a lot of problems that have been fixed over 10.1.X. So yes, I would say go for it.

EDIT: I just realized your processor/ram... sorry, I should read more carefully. I cannot really say for sure if yours would be ok, since mine is 500 with 512 ram...

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
9 out of 10

No problem, quit stalling and go for it.

My spec. are below so I use both units,
The 500 is the main machine but the 400 is used by the Wife but I use it in our home office all the time.

Surfing, InDesign, PhotoShop a little GoLive, Games, Networked Games, MYOB, Office v.X, everything.......

Yes, I do notice a little more peppiness in the 500 but thats because it is a faster machine.

I suggest to clients to have at least a G3 400Mhz anything for an enjoyable experience.

Jaguar is an enjoyable experience on the Pismo 400.

Macnutt seems to be a special case, I do not intend to brush off his experience but his is not a common experience, and as stated could be just the OS that brought to light other problems in his machine. I believe he has take the proper path for his situation.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I had OS 10.2 on my Pismo before I sold it and it was running great! Mind you, I had a 500MHz Pismo with 640MB RAM. :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Dude, maybe I'm not as qualified to make some definitive comments about mine yet, but I do not have any probs yet. Although I have PS 7 running, I've not yet put through a good boot camp since I have very little ram (Like 192). But as I mentioned, all is good so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by radiorocket:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
[qb]Mine seems to be fine. Although, I'm just about to gut it and add some juice. Just got my hands on the unit (been a few months now), but it seems to be running fine.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's good to know. Any problems with speed/performance? What kinds of apps have you been running?

Thanks for getting back.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
One final word here about Pismo and Jaguar:

Unix likes RAM. Actually Unix loves RAM. Unix knows when your RAM is too small or not working properly. Get LOTS of RAM if you want to enjoy Jag to the fullest. Get GOOD RAM (kingston) if you want the whole damn thing to work properly.

I've spent a considerable amount of time researching my problems with Jaguar....and the above advice is what I have heard so many times that I find myself repeating it like a mantra.

256mgs is dancing on the ragged edge of "not enough RAM". Get more and you will be happier.

Just my thoughts on this.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
And a good thought it is.

The only feature really holding back the Pismo isthe 8 MB Video card. No quatz extreme means more pressure on the G3 processor.

You will probably find that the finder is a little slower than that of 9, but you probably wont care when you notice that there is little or no performance hit when you are running multiple apps.

--PB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! Your feedback has been terrific. I will pick up Jaguar this week and install at least 256M's more RAM.

Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread. 10.2.2 works fine for me in my Pismo. The main difference in this update (as in a couple of previous ones) for me is increased stability.

I had a brief hiccup with my cable connection the other day and had to reset everything by shutting it all down (cable modem, router and Pismo) for couple of minutes. It occurred to me when I restarted that I hadn't pressed the power button on my Pismo for nearly a year. Had almost forgotten how to do anything with it other than wake from sleep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts