Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading about this dudes problems with the 12" PowerBook for the past while. Apple pissed him off with multiple subpar 12"ers which converted him back to Windows fairy land -- Sony Vaio Z1a. I can understand the crap he has gone through with Apple. My old iBook went through 3 hard drives totalling weeks of lost productivity and now my FW800 Power Mac -- from day one -- is annoying me with noise that Apple supposedly fixed. Apple stood up and helped my first problem by replacing the iBook completely, but the latter is still unresolved.

Who has had defects with their Macs or PCs out-of-the-box or down-the-line? Any DOAs? Any nasty lemons out there that seem to break down, fix after fix?

I know I've been negative of Apple lately :eek:, but it's STILL not enough to make me switch back to CRAP like this guy Randy did. Just have to MAKE Apple aware of their problems and MAKE them get on with solutions.
No half-assin.' :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The only problem I ever had was with my old Performa 5215CD, which had the well-known video issue. In my case, it was a line that showed up on the screen after about 3 months of use, with a bit of shimmy and shake thrown in just so you could see it from across the room.

I took it in to our local Apple Repair shop, and they replaced the video board, and it worked fine; took 2 days. Now, there was a special repair order on these Macs, so the tech asked me if it looked OK to me, and it did.

He said, if you ever have any problems, bring it in for the next set of repairs, which was a new (Trinitron) display and a mobo & power supply replacement. Because I had the issue and had a repair number, I was automatically eligible for the 7 year warranty extension; the machine will be out of warranty this coming September. The other issue (ROM or something) was fixed in production before they made mine, so I never had to worry about that one.

Now, a lot of people call that model a "road apple" because of the two issues, but I'm not one of them. Once it was fixed, it was fixed.

I used to take it up north all summer (4 months) where it played my CDs, served up my video through a VCR and tuned in the satellite dish we had set up without fail. At that time, we were powered by a diesel generator that went down HARD 3-5 times a month (each time would typically involve about 5 shutdowns in a half hour till we found out what freezer was breaking down this time); and served power up like 120v/60Hz was a utopian dream.

I would often go into the generator shed and read numbers like 107 volts one minute, 127 the next; and it typically cycled that power out 51 to 58Hz. That, my friend, is a switching power supply's (like those in all computers) worst nighmare. All the PC's we ever had in the office blew up after about 3 summers of that crap.

We actually had to run DOS because Win95 would just flake out every hour because of the power fluctuations; we could never use a GUI OS until we switched to laptops. (My boss wouldn't use Macs because she refused to use a mouse; but that's another story).

I still have it and it still works fine. I used to run it at home (8 months a year) 24/7 because it had that great answering machine/speakerphone. To this day, that's the very best telephone system I ever owned; got some jerk company keeping you on hold? Play the muzak through the stereo quietly and do the dishes or drink beer until you hear somebody talk english to you, then pick up the real phone. You gotta love it; friends used to come over to book flights on the airmiles card for that reason alone.

It never went down unless I was at it doing something dumb with it. If you run TechTool on it you will find the PRAM reports over 16 thousand hours. That works out to 10 cents an hour based on what I paid for it, tax in ($2170 less a $100 Apple rebate, plus Apple had a promotion where you had a 1-in-10 chance of another $500 rebate, which I got).

Call me crazy, but I just can't complain about that.

That's it for me. Not another problem with any of 'em; I can still fire up the Performa or my old SE30 and both will run as good as new.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've never had a problem with a PC out of the block...or even for 6 months after that...probably more. If I have any problems with a NEW $7000 system of ANY sort (ESPECIALLY after waiting 2 Months) I'm going to be MEGA choked. And APPLE WILL hear from me. :mad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts