Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly one year ago, North Orchard Computer Services offered to sponsor my then-new Web site, TechStuff.ca. North Orchard's owner, Mark Lawson, was one of the first Canadian Mac retailers to encourage my Mac-related ramblings in the Toronto Sun. Over a 3-year period, he sold two Macs (and a bunch of RAM) to my family, and I gave him many referrals. Mark always treated me well, and I thought we had a pretty good relationship.

Two months after the launch of TechStuff, Mark vanished, leaving me unpaid for his sponsorship and (I gather) leaving other people unpaid for more significant invoices. Naturally, I wondered if Mark was okay and what had happened to him.

After trying to reach him by phone and e-mail for more than a week, I drove to North Orchard's downtown location and found it abandoned -- Mac posters still on the walls, but otherwise empty. The guys in the office next door said he just stopped coming to work one day, and the landlord didn't know where he was.

This experience killed any enthusiasm I had to pursue trusted companies as paid sponsors for my self-published site. When North Orchard signed on, I announced it loud and proud, and hoped it would lead to more sponsorship. When Mark disappeared, I had to quietly remove the North Orchard banners from my site, then explain to prospective sponsors that my "test case" sponsor went bankrupt and disappeared. Not Good.

That's the background.

Today I stumbled on an old page buried in my site and followed a link to NorthOrchard.com, which still works. I always thought "North Orchard" was a good name for a Canadian Mac store.

For some reason, it occured to me to check the whois record for the site. I discovered that the domain name {UPDATE} was renewed in November 2002. Interesting.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if any of you ever had dealings with Mark, and if anyone knows what happened to him? I'm not looking for my pound of flesh -- at this point, I'm just curious.

Respond off-list, if you prefer -- [email protected]

Thanks,
Sandy

[ June 26, 2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Sandy McMurray ]

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ummm... Don't you mean November 2002? November 2003 hasn't passed by yet... unless I really slept in this morning...

:cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I can't read. ;)

That's even more interesting -- the domain name was renewed after Mark vanished.

I guess I should send a letter to the Markham address listed in the whois file...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts