Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, the new processors/architecture will be shown off at WWDC, with hardware to ship "soon". Panther will be released in September, and will be "optimized" for the 64 bit experience.

New parts mean that the cost of production has fallen. Look for aggressive pricing.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Sources?

This seems to be the accepted rumor of what will happen at WWDC. Although I think the emphasis will be placed on Panther, and the announcement of the new chip as it is a developer's conference and they will be pushing how developing for Panther and the PPC970 are way better.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I hope you're right, Britnell! I want to see the G5 out there as well.

·
Registered
507 Posts
PowerPC-970/Hypertransport architecture MAY be showed/demonstrated at WWDC 2003, but I sincerely doubt there will be any product to ship before late 2003, or 1H/2004, and for PowerMac only.

I forecast the 'Pal' .Mac software package will be announced, a 15" AlPB, and refreshed 12" AlPB with 1GHz CPU and DVI-out, w/ 2 SODIMM-DDR sockets, stacked like the TiPB. Lastly, the 17" may see a CPU increase. iPod Updater 2.1, maybe, but hopefully sooner. Preview of a late beta/early Pre-FC of Panther 10.3 w/o a doubt.

What i'd like to see are:

- Announcement/release of USB 2.0 native X drivers, revelation that MDD PowerMacs can do USB 2.0 now, as well as the 17" AlPB and new 15".

- Reduction in price for .Mac (i'm a member)

- Official RSS support in the new iPods, with a firmware patch.

- Radeon 9800 Pro as a BTO option and available as a separate card to order, at the Apple Store.

- Embracement of Radeon Mobility 9600 for all Mac PowerBooks.

- A low-cost ADC/DVI dual-mode support, new-generation 17" widescreen LCD.

- Brushed aluminum enclosures for PowerMac/PowerBook series, clear-coated.

- Apple LCDs in PowerBooks with better viewing-angles. Illuminated keyboard on the 12" and 15" haha.

My list is long, and i'll stop my dreaming at those. Btw, I don't think we'll see any of these dreams at the WWDC, but it's always nice to dream.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Neal - Your list sounds tantalizing!

However the illuminating keyboards on the 12" and 15"... those I would love to see... Your hardware speculations sound quite reasonable, so here's to getting a nice new 15" available to buy.

What is this 'Pal'.Mac service you wrote about? I don't understand what you mean.

·
Registered
259 Posts
How about a 13.x" widescreen mini AlBook? That's my DREAM machine -- small, light, nice ratio for DVDs and allowing decent space for palettes. The current 12" AlBook is far too similar to the iBook and deserves a complete overhaul and not the somewhat half-baked design that it received. It should have been thinner too -- at least equal to the 1" thicknesses of the 15" and 17" models.

Excellent speculations by the way, Neil.

[ June 09, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Tomac ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts