Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering that this year's WWDC has probably been the most hyped WWDC ever, and the rumor mill is running more crazily then a MacWorld. What are your thoughts?

Some confirmed facts:
- Panther (Client and Server) will be shown.

Some rumors to consider:
- The PPC970 is expected to make an appearance or be announced
- Possible revamp of the 15" PowerBook
- New Towers (including the latest a picture "smuggled from Apple" supposedly, http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/dontask/ )
- New part of the Digital lifestyle
- New application, compare ( http://www.apple.com/isync/ vs http://www.apple.com/uk/isync ) specifically the picture beside the blurb about syncing Bookmarks in Safari.
- Safari GM?
- One German site that sells Macs, has a section that says they will be selling new PowerMacs starting the evening of June 23rd.

EDIT: Fixes.

[ June 17, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The AngelFire link is dead...

I'm hoping to the heavens the PPC 970 (G5) will be introduced, and, more importantly, a revamp of any of the Powerbooks. Maybe even cheaper prices on the current line?

EDIT: The link worked as of now; the picture of new Power Mac [G5] worked. Wow - ugly as hell. I hope that picture is false, but I doubt it is.

[ June 17, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Lars ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, my bad... hmm thats one weird case... Some people believe its a Photoshop job, and the blurred section makes a lot of people skeptical.

1700th post.

The Angelfire link has gone down... it wasn't up long at all... Only 2 hours... Over 10000 hits in that time... However you can still see the image here: http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/dontask/dontask2.jpg

According to the MacRumors boards and the AI boards, it is said to be a fake by some, and others just repeat what happened with the QuickSilvers and are saying its real. We'll know on Monday.

[ June 17, 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too Bad, I did get the image however, if you want to see it, private message me and I'll email it to you.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I think its a fake. Judging from the poor DPI & poor picture quallity I would guess this is just some design student's prototype project. I certainly don't think Steve would ever allow such a security breach to happen. I have never seen any significant leaks from apple, and I don't think we ever will.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The accompanying piece of text that had gone with the picture, went something along these lines:
Security was tight, I smuggled it out in my pants, Sorry bout the creases, get it before the site goes down.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
By the way, I'll bet the new G5 has USB & Firewire accessability on the front of the machine. The casing will probably be similar to the current pro-macs (how can you improve upon that case?).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, I don't like to stir the pot, but this 'shot' goes a long way towards the reports i've heard from reputable sources...

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
"Security was tight, I smuggled it out in my pants, Sorry bout the creases, get it before the site goes down."

Security was tight where? Sound fishy that Apple would invite this guy to some sort of event, give hi a picture that he has to smuggle out? What did everybody else do, hand the lousy pics back on the way out?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
have never seen any significant leaks from apple, and I don't think we ever will.
I saw pictures of the MDD Power Mac G4's before their official release. Don't be so sure.

·
Registered
645 Posts
We will see:

1) Panther
2) Safari official release 1.0
3) No mention of any new powermacs
4) Release of QuarkXpress 6.0

5) Upgraded powermacs :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Urban_Legend - Don't #3 and #5 conflict, as whether its a new case or just an upgrade of the current PowerMacs, its still the new Power Mac...

I want a PPC970 15" AlBook released.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Chealion,

:D No #3 and #5 don't conflict ;) New means PPC970, upgraded means the G4's we have now, maybe another speed boost before the PPC970's come out in the new year.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i LOVE the hoopla. :D

it's fun to see what we might get @ WWDC.

whatever it is, i don't think we'll be disapointed.

p.

(PS: i kinda like the supposed new powermac case. it's smart. )

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Yes , I am excited about what news could be coming next monday., I believe 1pm eastern is when it starts, 10am pacific.

Well, we will see 10.3 at least, and we know it will support 64 bit cpus
I hear all kinds of rumors, about when and what the next gen cpus will be .
Everyone was so sure they would be released in January 2002, but no go.
We've had the G4 for 4 years, gone from 350mhz-1.425ghz, it's time for a new generation.
Remember in 1986 when 8mhz was speedy, at that rate of increase per year , any less than 250ghz by
2020 is a disappointment

Still though in 2020, I can predict people complaining that their 250ghz machine with a full terrabyte of ram and a 100 terrabyte storage being inadeqate to do their text editing.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts