Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Can't see wasting my time on this. Pretty sure even if they finally get around to a hopefully improved MacPro, I won't be able to afford it.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure I've enabled this every time I set up iCloud on a new Mac... but I can't say that I ever had need to use it...

Apple to Discontinue Back to My Mac Feature in All Versions of macOS

Back to My Mac was launched with Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) as a MobileMe service, but eventually moved over to iCloud with OS X Lion. It is designed to let Mac owners connect to one Mac from another Mac for file transfers and screen sharing purposes. It also lets users create a network of Mac computers with two or more Macs.

But due to the complexity of properly setting up a Mac network using the feature, the company has perhaps decided to permanently eliminate it from all macOS versions.

Here’s what Apple says in the support document:

“As of July 1, 2019, Back to My Mac service is not available in any other version of macOS. You can use these alternatives for file access, screen sharing, and remote desktop access.”

The document also highlights that customers can access their files across all of their devices, including new machines, from iCloud Drive. Another way is to use Apple Remote Desktop, which lets users run apps and files on other Macs.

·
Premium Member
5,412 Posts
Pretty sure I've enabled this every time I set up iCloud on a new Mac... but I can't say that I ever had need to use it...

Apple to Discontinue Back to My Mac Feature in All Versions of macOS

Back to My Mac was launched with Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) as a MobileMe service, but eventually moved over to iCloud with OS X Lion. It is designed to let Mac owners connect to one Mac from another Mac for file transfers and screen sharing purposes. It also lets users create a network of Mac computers with two or more Macs.

But due to the complexity of properly setting up a Mac network using the feature, the company has perhaps decided to permanently eliminate it from all macOS versions.

Here’s what Apple says in the support document:

“As of July 1, 2019, Back to My Mac service is not available in any other version of macOS. You can use these alternatives for file access, screen sharing, and remote desktop access.”

The document also highlights that customers can access their files across all of their devices, including new machines, from iCloud Drive. Another way is to use Apple Remote Desktop, which lets users run apps and files on other Macs.

I use it all the time to connect to other computers in our office. We use it for easy file sharing and swapping. I also use the back to my mac screen sharing to help with problems without needing to leave my desk.

I never setup anything, just enabled it so not sure what the complexities are. Of course we would not want anything difficult for Apple, this does seem to be there normal thing. Take away features and add bigger emojis to make up for it.

If this is removed it is another nail in the coffin pushing me away from Apple as they get rid of simple and useful tools that make my life easier. If MacOS does not make my life easier what is the point of using it and paying the premium for their hardware?

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got tied up today and missed the WWDC Keynote - waiting for it to be available for rewatch.

I did catch the last 10 minutes - and the new SwiftUI programming interface looks pretty darn cool.

Tim came on and did a wrap, which I half-caught, and on the screen behind him was an image of... I think it was a cheese grater? That's what we used to call the Macintosh desktops... did they actually go ahead and build one, or am I missing a joke?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I got tied up today and missed the WWDC Keynote - waiting for it to be available for rewatch.

I did catch the last 10 minutes - and the new SwiftUI programming interface looks pretty darn cool.

Tim came on and did a wrap, which I half-caught, and on the screen behind him was an image of... I think it was a cheese grater? That's what we used to call the Macintosh desktops... did they actually go ahead and build one, or am I missing a joke?
I admit, I was impressed for the first time in a while. As long as you ignore price points.

The whole privacy push was really awesome.

·
Premium Member
5,412 Posts

Without a doubt the ugliest Apple products ever. I have an old beige G3 powermac sitting in the basement at work and prefer that design to this new one.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Price point & aesthetics set aside: the expandable/ upgradeable Mac Pro is back! Call it a cheese grater if you will, the trash can is no more!

Something else: I read a rackable Mac Pro is in the making.
No more whining about aesthetics then, just plain functionality!
Full frontal technology in a 19"rack (2 units I bet)!!

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
Price point & aesthetics set aside: the expandable/ upgradeable Mac Pro is back! Call it a cheese grater if you will, the trash can is no more!
... ... ...

Finally as some have figured out, we can now have our Mac and Cheese...!!!

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
42,482 Posts

Something else: I read a rackable Mac Pro is in the making.
No more whining about aesthetics then, just plain functionality!
Full frontal technology in a 19"rack (2 units I bet)!!
Some of the rackmount solutions for the old cheese greater were awful--including cutting off the ears! I would like a proper rackmount for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts