1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far:

- iOS 11 announced, available this fall, public beta shortly
- macOS "High Sierra" (10.13) - available this fall, public beta end of June
- New iMacs, new MacBook Pros - "Kaby Lake" 7th-gen., CPU's, 15" models get updated graphics
- iMac Pro announced in Space Gray, starts at $4999 U.S. Up to 18-core Xenon processors (starts at a 8-core), AMD "Vega" graphics (up to 16GB VRAM), up to 128GB ECC memory, etc. Available December 2017.
- All new hardware has 50% faster SSD's.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
is it me or is the presentations so overly scripted it is horrible to watch.

wow they have a extremely preggers woman on stage LOL and she is wearing skin tight dress lol
can't wait for “ oh wait there is one more thing” plop a kid happens hahahahhaa

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
They really rushed through the MacBook / MacBook Pro updates... and I'm now left a little unclear why someone would by a MacBook vs a low-end MacBook Pro given that they have the same retail price. And the MacBook Air (we're upping the megahertz) or some such throwaway line... interesting that they're still selling 'em, though I don't get the audience they're aiming for with them.

·
Premium Member
5,412 Posts
Will be checking out the new iMacs. I have the first generation 5K iMac, had a few issues at the beginning but all in all a pretty great machine. Been looking for a worthwhile update and this might be it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not pretty if you like desktops or were hoping for something expandable/upgradeable.
The Mac Mini was left wilting on the vine, unchanged since 2014.
The MacPro is still around, but probably only until the Xeon powered "iMac pro" comes out in December.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Mac Pro is destined for a complete overhaul in 2018 or 2019. The iMac Pro is a placeholder for that redesign. (Apple's own remarks.) Also explains the iMac Pro's high starting price (approx. $7K Canadian, estimated).

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
the iMac Pro has the ports everyone wants but not the price - yikes!!!!
but i guess you are receiving pro interiors

The laptops received speed bumps but price jumps as well.

·
Resident ******
861 Posts
They really rushed through the MacBook / MacBook Pro updates... and I'm now left a little unclear why someone would by a MacBook vs a low-end MacBook Pro given that they have the same retail price. And the MacBook Air (we're upping the megahertz) or some such throwaway line... interesting that they're still selling 'em, though I don't get the audience they're aiming for with them.
I can't understand the laptop pricing either. I guess the market is almost exclusively aimed at those with cash to burn on pretty electronics. I miss the days of an affordable, Apple laptop, even if they were plastic...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I can't understand the laptop pricing either. I guess the market is almost exclusively aimed at those with cash to burn on pretty electronics. I miss the days of an affordable, Apple laptop, even if they were plastic...
Are you looking at Canadian or US pricing? The 13" non-Touch Bar models start at USD $1,299 which isn't horrible. That same model becomes CAD $1,720. All of Apple's products reflect roughly the same exchange rate. The low Canadian dollar is killing us.

Craig

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
True, that is the exact difference using xe.com today. Apple surprisingly isn't even marking up the laptop in Canada for whatever reasons they used to have; it's the same as the exchange rate. For those thinking of going to the US to buy, there's no savings--plus the usual travel, insurance, etc., and giving away your phone passwords and private data.

Are you looking at Canadian or US pricing? The 13" non-Touch Bar models start at USD $1,299 which isn't horrible. That same model becomes CAD $1,720. All of Apple's products reflect roughly the same exchange rate. The low Canadian dollar is killing us.

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,412 Posts
Not sure I get the new App store design. While it looks pretty it certainly does not look functional with a single App taking up almost the entire page.

I do love the new Apple Pay feature with iMessage. I thought they had announced this feature with iOS 10 but never saw anything else about it. Great feature especially when out with friends and they conveniently forget their wallet and there is no Apple pay in the restaurant.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I like the new iPad pro. Looks like a step up instead of a little speed/performance boost.
Price hurts because of the exchange though.
Guess I'll wait till they hit the refurb store.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Was there any comment on the minimum hardware required to run 10.13 High Sierra?
Would it be the same as for Sierra?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Was there any comment on the minimum hardware required to run 10.13 High Sierra?
Apparently anything that can run Sierra can run High Sierra.

·
Premium Member
5,412 Posts
Apparently anything that can run Sierra can run High Sierra.
I think they also showed machines from 2010 onward would run High Sierra.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
current Sierra - macs will work - but - a big but!!! - high sierra is 64 bit only..
so all you CS 5 - not sure about cs 6 folks, get ready to be burned by Adobe CS cloud..
I have switched over to Affinity for that reason..
I really don't have many 32 bit apps any how.. maybe 1 or 2.. but i guess the time has come for the big cleanse

·
Premium Member
5,412 Posts
current Sierra - macs will work - but - a big but!!! - high sierra is 64 bit only..
so all you CS 5 - not sure about cs 6 folks, get ready to be burned by Adobe CS cloud..
I have switched over to Affinity for that reason..
I really don't have many 32 bit apps any how.. maybe 1 or 2.. but i guess the time has come for the big cleanse
Definitely will stall a bunch of people if CS6 does not work with High Sierra. I currently use Adobe CC so not worried about that, hopefully some speed improvements come with a refined OS.

I could not replace Affinity Designer yet to replace Illustrator, a few simple little things did not work right last time I tried it (own Affinity Designer and Photo). Also my main app is Indesign and there is no good alternative (do not mention Quark). As usually going to install this on my MacBook Pro which has really become my beta tester for every new OS Apple releases to make sure everything works before switching my 5K iMac over.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Definitely will stall a bunch of people if CS6 does not work with High Sierra. I currently use Adobe CC so not worried about that, hopefully some speed improvements come with a refined OS.

I could not replace Affinity Designer yet to replace Illustrator, a few simple little things did not work right last time I tried it (own Affinity Designer and Photo). Also my main app is Indesign and there is no good alternative (do not mention Quark). As usually going to install this on my MacBook Pro which has really become my beta tester for every new OS Apple releases to make sure everything works before switching my 5K iMac over.
yes i am pissed off as well there is no indesign alternative.. agreed - don't mention quark in front me either unless you want to be thrown off my property lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts