Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you are looking for an innexpensive USB hub, try Canada Computers . They start at about $14.

MrVermin

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I have used a USB hub for the past three years. Mine is an Interex USBView Bandwidth Monitor BV4 with four ports.

It has worked flawlessly and I think I paid around $59 for it back then.

It is fast and has worked on both Cable and ADSL modems with no problems.

Cheers

G

·
I realize that USB-hubs without a A/C power supply will cause problems if you plug in many different power-sucking devices in at the same time via the hub and some may start to fail -- however, if I plug a scanner into a non-A/C powered hub; and the scanner has its own A/C power via wall outlet, then it doesn't take power via USB, does it? I'm assuming just devices that do NOT need a A/C power via wall outlet such power via USB port(s)/hubs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I realize that USB-hubs without a A/C power supply will cause problems if you plug in many different power-sucking devices in at the same time via the hub and some may start to fail -- however, if I plug a scanner into a non-A/C powered hub; and the scanner has its own A/C power via wall outlet, then it doesn't take power via USB, does it? I'm assuming just devices that do NOT need a A/C power via wall outlet such power via USB port(s)/hubs.
Actually, the power provided in a powered USB hub is to boost signal transmission. Unlike SCSI where the Terminator Bus can have power supplied to it by the devices connected to it, the USB bus cannot do this (at least not yet..) The power that your scanner requires is just to power the device itself, none of it goes to the USB port. If the scanner had a built in USB hub (like most new high end monitors) then the USB hub built into that device will receive power from the AC that powers that device.

In the end, if you need a USB hub, then get a powered one (preferably AC and not battery :eek: ). Barring that talk to MacDoc or Carbon about a monitor that has a built in USB hub...

MrVermin

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually have a Belkin USB hub that someone gave to me. It has no power adapter for cable. where could i find this stuff?

G

·
CanadaComputers.com is selling a 4-port USB hub w/adaptor for $14! And someone told me only cheap hubs with no A/C adaptors were inexpensive and under $20..... :D

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Rampart:
Look at your Belkin hub and check the electrical specifications, and buy a generic wall-wart that complies.

You are looking for:
Voltage
DC or AC
Current (ma or amps)
pin/shield polarity

My Belkin model F5U021 has the following:
DC 7.5V 2.1A (same as saying 2100 mA)

It doesn't say anything on the hub about polarity, but I can tell you from the wart it comes with that it's pin-hot

Stick close to the voltage but it's OK to go a little above the current rating (A or mA). Don't go under for either, and don't go too crazy on the overcurrent.

It's really helpful if you know whether the pin is hot or ground; look for a diagram on the device that looks like the opposite of a copyright character.

Inside of circle is pin[-o] and outside is shield [O-]. Match that in case it's non-standard (which will cause the device to go up in smoke). However, if it's not there you may as well assume it's standard, which is pin hot/sleeve negative.

You can buy just about any wall-wart imaginable from electronics supply stores for a few bucks (usually under $10 and sometimes much less than that).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I hate to be one of those people who point out their pet peeves but this one has really been bugging me lately.

Instead of making me waste my time clicking on a link called "WTD" only to realize I could care less about the topic, why don't you put WHAT YOU WANT in the title?!? The same goes for the "FS" titles. Unless it is a list too long to put in the title space then PUT THE ITEM THAT IS FOR SALE!!

Then I just get mad and want to say something like *this* to you..."If you need a freaking usb port then get off your lazy ass and go to the store to buy one!! They are only 20 bucks for god's sake!!! Does a thread about usb hubs *really* need to be started?!?! Do you want a NEW one? A USED one? A FREE one? ADVICE on one?!?! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!?!?!"

But I would only say something this aggressive when I've been irritated.

Think about all the people that might have actually posted something if you HAD actually spent the time to put what you WANT in the title? A lot of people won't look at threads this vague.

*Especially* since this site is so slow.

Thank you.
End of rant.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm with Pamela!! One easily avoided mistake that many of us commit here is to post uninformative topics like:

"Wow!"
"Check this out!"
"WTB/FS"

etc, etc.

Check out the current first page of "Anything Mac", I bet there are several topics there that you have no idea what they are about. What a pain in the rear to have to load those pages only to find out it is of no interest to you. That is not the Apple way! ;)

Now I'm guilty of another great forum sin: the off-topic post! Me sorry :rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I fell for the trap as well. Dang. ;)

I am with Pamela on this one. Another pet peeve of mine is that some people don't seem to respect the appropriate forums. I don't understand why really. So simple. Four categories. I hate being the proper forum police but my own compulsive behaviour sometimes gets the better of me...

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts