Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the same as downloading it for me anyway. I am not a teacher.

Anyone can pop onto mlmac and have a copy in 10 minutes complete with key that works. And thanks but no thanks to all those people who offered to sell me a 'backup.'

I want legit software. Ideally from someone who is upgrading, is switching platforms, or got the Studio and doesn't need DW.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had a chance to try out the new Dreamweaver MX 2004. I have used GoLive for years. Anyhow the install disk is a hybrid that can be used on either Mac or PC. The funny thing is that this software works much better on my 4 year old Celery 466 laptop with 384MB ram than on my FP iMac 800 w. 768MB ram. It just dogs alond on the Mac compared to my laptop. Checking out the Dreamweaver boards it seems to be that this version is considered somewhat of a stinker on the Mac side.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but CSS makes it worth a try. I have a wicked fast PC too if I get the 2004 version.

How is GoLive - I have always heard that it was not very good, but that was from DW users.

I have been using DW since 3.0 - but I have an open mind.

·
Registered
406 Posts
GoLive has support for CSS. I assume you are talking about Cascading Style Sheets. Where GoLive loses is in the Dynamic Content department. I believe support for Dynamic content has been dropped by Adobe in GoLive CS.

I am used to GoLive. I like it for what it does. As anyone will really tell you the true way to code is with a Text Editor or something like BBEdit. But for someone like me who doesn't want to learn the fullt HTML language and app like GoLive or Dreamweaver is great. You still need to have a good understanding of HTML and it's workings to really make use of the apps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I have never seen a nice site done purely with a text editor. It's easier to use DW or GL to do layout and content formating and then clean it up with text editors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as using a text editor to build a site there are plenty sites out there by pro developers and designers who know their stuff who do just that. Design in a grapics prog, cut up the graphics, and code the HTML. The CSS end of things just makes coding all that easier. Granted typing up all that Java Script for roll overs and such can be a tedious pain. Thats where something like DW comes in handy. IMHOP Go Live blows; the code it creates is horrible, or at least it use to be that way a few years back. My suggestion to anyone who wants to get into this and is a newbie is to go get the Peachpit Press Visual Quickstart guide to HTML, learn the power of well placed tables and what a 1 pixel transparent gif can do for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts