Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been a while but im back :D

I recently just reformatted my macbook (leopard) and i wanted to switch to a more secure WiFi encryption this time around. Im running on my bell provided wireless router now since i think WPA2 was patched into my linksys (wrt54gs) and i hear the encryption runs better on native routers, which this one is.

Anyways, i had switched to WPA2 encryption without problem until about 20-30 minutes in. Like clockwork, airport drops around the same time mark and the only way to fix it was to disconnect and reconnect airport. I am now running on WPA and all is fine, but i would still like to switch back.

I was told that both WPA and WPA2 require a higher key count, which i don't think I did with WPA2 but have changed to 10+ digits with the current WPA. I searched around and could not find an answer to how long the key for WPA2 needs to be and am hoping someone here knows that and hopefully has an answer/fix to the connection drop issue.

Cheers!

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
i have no problems with my WRT54GL and WPA2, using a 10 digit pass phrase.

encryption causes overhead to the wifi.. hence SLOW down the transfer speed. I don't think it has anything to do with disconnection issues..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts