Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I would be interested to know his rationale for this gesture. I am not opposed to this action, but rather, just curious as to the motivation underlying this act.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Everybody wants to be pals with the Woz , cause he is a great human being.
I was so digusted when the Your Mac Life lost his interview from Macworld, grrrr.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Dr.G. wrote:
I would be interested to know his rationale for this gesture.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Woz used to be a bit of a cracker in his early days. Plus Kevin Mitnick is probably one of the higher-profile cracking cases where the punishment didn't fit the crime.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I believe Woz is a friend and was against the severe punishment Kevin received. Sort of kindered spirits maybe? Also, people get behind all sorts of causes.
Robert

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
All possible rationales.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Kevin did commit a crime though, if any of us did the same thing we would also be punished, although 5 years is a little much, but how would you like him going through your personal data.
of course he is also proof that security needs improvment .

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
If memory serves, the issue with Mitnick was that he was held for a long time without being told how long his sentence actually was going to be, and then when they told him how long he was going to be in jail, it was from that point forward. So he was held for his sentence plus however long it was they were holding him prior to that.

That is very much so against the rules.

--PB

·
Registered
96 Posts
Minnes wrote:

Kevin did commit a crime though, if any of us did the same thing we would also be punished, although 5 years is a little much, but how would you like him going through your personal data.
of course he is also proof that security needs improvment .

Can you say...DragonWare Suite? But that's the U.S Government so it's okay, right? :D

Kevin got screwed pure and simple.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
...but how would you like him going through your personal data.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as he was willing to organize all that crap I have... he's welcome to check it out...

:cool:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
Kevin did commit a crime though, if any of us did the same thing we would also be punished...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion, hacking isn't the crime. The crime is what you do AFTER you've hacked, such as steal information or destroy/delete stuff.

In this day and age, hacking a computer system is a complex process, even moreso today than 5 or 10 years ago.

I say: "Don't arrest a hacker for hacking. Arrest him for doing something destructive or immoral like stealing data or creating some kind of damage."

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Woz and Mitnick have previously co-hosted Screensavers on Tech TV (not very well....). Also, Woz wrote an internal Apple program called VisiCrook that was based on VisiCalc. Supposedly, it took the VisiCalc code base and made it run a lot better. According to Robert X. Cringely, Apple was working on a true VisiCalc competitor when Gates got them to knife the baby in lieu of Excel. So, Woz probably shares some of the hacker spirit of Mitnick (but didn't get caught). Plus, what's $10K to him? He must be worth quite a bit (although much less than Jobs).

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Woz isnt that wealthy, he says he gave most of his Apple stock money away to various groups and people

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by used to be jwoodget:
Woz and Mitnick have previously co-hosted Screensavers on Tech TV (not very well....). Also, Woz wrote an internal Apple program called VisiCrook that was based on VisiCalc. Supposedly, it took the VisiCalc code base and made it run a lot better. According to Robert X. Cringely, Apple was working on a true VisiCalc competitor when Gates got them to knife the baby in lieu of Excel. So, Woz probably shares some of the hacker spirit of Mitnick (but didn't get caught). Plus, what's $10K to him? He must be worth quite a bit (although much less than Jobs).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't be the first time Gates pulled that on Apple. They tried it with QuickTime, Internet Explorer and multiple times with Office.

I remember reading Avie's deposition early-on in the DOJ trial and he stated that the Mac business unit manager @ MS at the time suggested to Gates they use Office as a "club" on Apple to get them to accept IE as the default browser. They caved of course but not without a fight.

Now the gloves are off and as I predicted before, you watch, Apple will get back at them. The writing in on the wall. We have safari, Keynote, iCal, iSync, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and more. The next 2 apps out of them will be something with word processing and spreadsheets.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Yep, the gloves are off. Apple has been openly attacking Microsoft at every opportunity (where it makes sense) such as over the state settlements, the Switcher campaign and now the anti-Office apps. This will have one of two effects. Either Microsoft will say screw it, we don't need the 1% of the income we make from the MBU and pull out of the Mac software market or they'll try and stick it to Apple by releasing better software.

The latter would probably be best since I'm sure that if MS abandoned the platform, we'll have a much harder time in the future in integrating with MS apps in the workplace and in accessing the various MS proprietary interfaces. For example, Mac users might be shut out of web sites and content due to new MS-specific DirectX links and copy protection modalities. Competition is also good in keeping Apple on its toes in improving its apps. I also think that even 1% of Microsofts income is worth having. That, coupled with at least the apparition that Microsoft is being a good citizen in the eyes of the DoJ in supporting a competitor, might keep them in the Mac world even if SJ has declared an MS Jihad.

minnes, while Woz doesn't have to worry about being in the top 100 earners in the US, he is a co-founder of two companies and is not your average citizen. Bill Gates gives away more than 500 million or so a year (Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - the single largest philanthropic organization in the world that supports lots of amazing projects) but he's still number 1 in wealth. There used to be a web site that tallied how much money was needed to be on the ground for it to be worth Bill Gates to stop and pick it up (in terms of his time). It got to over $10,000 I think. In other words, he earns over $10,000 every 30 seconds. Woz probably comes in at 50 bucks. I bend down for 5c .....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
jwoodget, I still say the old saying "Penny, penny bring me luck, 'cause I'm the one that picked you up" every time I pick up a penny. I am on the board of UNICEF Newfoundland and Labrador, so I save all of my change and we donate it at Halloween to UNICEF. So, I stoop for pennies.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Dr G
During the last 35 years of the 20th century my mother put in lots of volunteer work for UNICEF in our area helping to raise thousands of dollars.

used to be jwoodget
I thought I heard Woz in an interview say he gave most of his Apple stock money away, so make of it what you will, Im sure he has a couple million socked away to keep him off the street.
he still acts like a regular guy and responds to mail at woz.org
He really is a clever fellow he designed, built and programmed the early Apple machines with very little formal training.
He says he was building his own computers in high school .

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
minnes, not doubt about it that Woz is the brains behind the original Apple wares with Jobs as the showman and marketeer. Made a good pair and they still get along (although it was supposedly rocky at times). Woz is involved in some cool things like Wheels of Zeus which is designing new wireless appliances. His web site has some fascinating history on it as well as evidence of his self-effacing nature.

The question is, who would you rather be marooned with on a desert island?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
used to be jwoodget wrote:
The question is, who would you rather be marooned with on a desert island?

Woz, of course. While Steve Jobs might be an interesting guy and all, Woz would be able to build a radio out of a pair of coconuts and get us off the island.

:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Of course it would be nice to have Steve along to script out the details for the press conference when you land again. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.