Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on this:

I have an original G5 imac, 20", custom order, works fine. I've been drooling over the 24" models since they came out. From playing with the newer alum imacs I think I prefer the non glossy screens of the recently discontinued white imacs.

Well, I've got a chunk of cash left from Christmas (I have generous in-laws) and I figure I could sell my present imac for a bit of coin, and together I'd be able to purchase one of those refurbished 24" white imacs, they seem a great deal at $1499.

Thing is, my present system works fine, and suits my needs. Absolutely no complains with it. On the other hand, it is getting old, Applecare has run out, so any repairs could be costly. And it still holds a bit of value now. So with very little outlay right now, I can get a great deal on an almost new imac, full warranty, with all the added features I don't presently have. Plus it has the intel chip, so I'd be getting away from the legacy G5 chip.

But again, my present system works just fine. It could crank away for years with no problems.

Any thoughs or advice would be helpful, especially if they help sway my wife into a new computer.

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
I'm usually the first person to say "buy a newer computer," but I think I'll actually hold off this time. The iMacs are in mid-cycle, so by the time your current machine is more seriously in need of replacing there will be something even better (and possibly cheaper!) available.

In the meantime, though, I'd say buy yourself an adapter and second monitor if that option is available to you. That will quell your screen lust temporarily. :)

If that option is not available to you (can't recall if the original iMac G5 had video out), then perhaps yes, now's the time to sell while your "old" one is still in great working order.

Do be aware that you will also need to upgrade some apps, depending on what you use. I would strongly recommend NOT transferring any non-Apple programs you have on the old computer and just going with what Apple provides until you can update to the Universal versions. Take your documents, pictures, movies, etc with you of course, but leave the old programs behind and install Universal versions on the new machine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Speaking as somone who owns both a 20" iMac G5 and a 20" iMac Intel 2.4 Alum (a little over 30 days old now) I can safely say that, at least for me, the upgrade has been a very good one.

Now I'm by far not a hardcore user, nor am I mac guru by any stretch of the imagination but I've thoroughly enjoyed my new iMac and it's added performance. The new screen has certainly taken some getting used to but I really enjoy it now, I for one see a really big difference in terms of performance with the intel chip and after getting my updatet to 10.5 Loepard has been super stable and a joy to work with on a daily basis.

The G5 is still plugging around wonderfuly mind you, for a 2 year old system that has never needed any service I'm still amazed at it's responsiveness and really couldn't be happier with my experience over all. But again that being said, I don't regret getting the new iMac in the least.

Thought I'd throw my thoughts out as a layman.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.