Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize it probably won't happen until the next major MacBook redesign, but just curious if most here would prefer a different keyboard than the current "chiclet" style keys?

As much as I like Apple thinking outside the box and doing things different, there are some things that don't need to be re-invented. Especially when they've got one of the best keyboards out there in the MBP. I'm not sold on the the current MacBook keyboard.

Functionally, it's okay, but aesthetically, it doesn't do it for me. Looks a bit too consumer/Fisher Price friendly. I wished it looked a bit more "grown up" for those who have small businesses but can't afford a MBP. I mean why not drop in a MacAlly style keypad in there instead. I must admit, even some of the Sony Vaio white keyboards are nicer. No offense to current MB owners, but it's just personal taste. :)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I have no problems with the MacBook keyboard. I have a MacBook Pro and my wife has a MacBook, and I find typing on both to be equally satisfying. One thing I do think is nice about the chiclet keys is they don't collect as much dust and hairs under them than the traditional keyboard. It's also easier to wipe clean.

Durability is also a bonus. Since the MacBook keyboard is integrated into the top case, the notebook is sturdier and feels more solid.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I finally got to spend an extended period with a MacBook last week, setting it up for my boss. I find it to be one of the most comfortable laptop keyboards I've used. The spacing is just right, and the key response is great. And yes, I'm a touch typist.

I honestly can't see why this is such a turnoff for so many people. I find a tendency in most "traditional" laptop keyboards for my fingers to get pinched between keycaps; this is pretty much impossible on the MacBook with the wider spacing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I moved from a MBP to a Mabook and I find that I can actually type faster and more accurately on the Macbook with it's "Chiclet" keyboard. I think the key spacing is better and for sure it is much easier to keep clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts