Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss and I are looking for ideas on how others work remotely.

Basically the situation is she runs a business out of her home and I feel more comfortable working from home, which she is totally fine with we are just looking for ways to make it simpler.

Anyone out there use some sort of networking or, on line drop box, access others desktops ect.

Id be interested in knowing how you go about making it work for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note if anyone is in the east end of Toronto and has some graphic/ web design skills with some free time and is serious, my boss has more than enough work if your interested.

She has real clients with real jobs and pays well and fairly.

shoe

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
My situation is likely a little different from yours in that I'm in the corporate world but with my Mac I can log into my windows machines at work using Microsoft's free Remote Desktop tool over our VPN. Doing so allows me to use my mac to work with Windows only software easily as its all server side which is nice otherwise I'd have to switch over to XP in either BootCamp or Parallels and install the software there (which I have as an option as well). For me it works and given that I'm maintaining servers it lets me log in anywhere I have a webconnection so even when I'm traveling I can fix issues without being onsite. I've never used a VNC client on my mac other then the Microsoft one but Chicken of the VNC seems popular and should let you remotely work on each others machines.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I still haven't tried Timbuktu, but I like ARD when I need to run the Apples remotely.
Setting up a VPN and/or FTP are great for transferring files.
We also access our FileMaker databases over the net.
shoe, do you need to run the computers, access databases or just transfer files?

·
Registered
30 Posts
www.logmein.com

They now have a mac host client in beta. We use this product at work and it is fantastic. Free version covers all the bases. Paid version is even better.

I use my Mac at home to control my Windows PC's at work and it's very secure, so much so that our network and security guys like it a lot.

The best part is that it's web based, so I can log in and control from any machine to a machine that I've got the client installed on.

AND it supports machines that have dual monitors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yup. basic version is free. Note that the Mac HOST client is still beta, so may be unstable. In that mode you would be able to remote your mac from your xp machine.

I've been trying the mac host client that last couple of days and it seem to work fine (MacBook Pro C2D).

I should note that you always go through the web portal to connect to your machines. The website is encrypted and that also encrypts your connection.

G

·
shoe: Are you just mainly looking for a file sharing / information sharing sort of solution .. or are you looking to remotely access another computer at her office to do the work on there?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What we are doing is looking for away to bring 2 offices "closer together" so to speak.

We are looking for ideas, possibly working remotly maybe drop boxes.

What we are trying to do is eliminate the time that it takes to explain what to do with a job, it seems easier for her if I am there to explain it, for me its easier and more comfortable to use my machine with my settings then her secondary slower mac.

I think she would also like to get away from having to dig out the files burn them to a disk have me pick them up then I email or burn a disk back to her with the changes then she has to go and put the files back in her machine so they are updated with changes.

shoe

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
I still haven't tried Timbuktu, but I like ARD when I need to run the Apples remotely.
Setting up a VPN and/or FTP are great for transferring files.
We also access our FileMaker databases over the net.
shoe, do you need to run the computers, access databases or just transfer files?
Apple Remote Desktop should do the trick for you. The client software is part of the system. You just need to purchase the application and activate ARD in SystemPreferences>Sharing.

Be sure you are using robust passwords.

BTW for everyone not using ARD same should be deactivated in Sharing. This is the default setting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I guess the budget method is to communicate through iChat(text, audio and/or video) and using an FTP server to exchange work [available through your web host?]

I was looking forward to the screen sharing in leopard... but I think they might have dropped that.

·
Registered
661 Posts
www.logmein.com

They now have a mac host client in beta. We use this product at work and it is fantastic. Free version covers all the bases. Paid version is even better.

I use my Mac at home to control my Windows PC's at work and it's very secure, so much so that our network and security guys like it a lot.

The best part is that it's web based, so I can log in and control from any machine to a machine that I've got the client installed on.

AND it supports machines that have dual monitors.
Going away for a couple of weeks and I don't have a laptop, but I may, if need be, do some work, so I have been searching for a solution either than buying one, as I don't have the money at the moment.

Will the free one allow me to use all the softwares on my mac and access all my files on my mac remotely with a pc and do my work?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes.

The basic/free version just lets you remote control in. The paid versions let you in addition have an administration console to manage the mac or pc without remote control (for example iStat Pro like stats).

The nice thing for me is that I've had snow days that won't let me go to work, so I remote control my PC at work from my Mac. I also have my sister's computer registered so I can support her, and I have my a Macs at home setup so I can support from work PC back to home. It's all about options.

It's great for mutli platform going each way. Now I am interested to see what the remote desktop looks like built into Leopard. Won't replace the mutli-platform, but will be nice to see a built in solution.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yes.

The basic/free version just lets you remote control in. The paid versions let you in addition have an administration console to manage the mac or pc without remote control (for example iStat Pro like stats).

The nice thing for me is that I've had snow days that won't let me go to work, so I remote control my PC at work from my Mac. I also have my sister's computer registered so I can support her, and I have my a Macs at home setup so I can support from work PC back to home. It's all about options.

It's great for mutli platform going each way. Now I am interested to see what the remote desktop looks like built into Leopard. Won't replace the mutli-platform, but will be nice to see a built in solution.
nice... i never thought of working remotely, but I wonder how do apps like illustrator and photoshop run, will it be slower or the same?

just a thought, can I transfer files from the computer I'm using to the remote computer I'm accesssing?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts