Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently have and use Appleworks, version 6.

A basic word processor. It works for me. If I require specialty
applications have Quark.

However expect that down the road Appleworks may well not be compatible
with perhaps a newer computer. What then?

Have find that "Word" by MS far too full of variances and options to be of any real use, and was wondering what the experience was with the newer Apple
word processing software? Is it backward compatible with Appleworks and
in terms of learning, similar in context or more akin to Word and/or Wordperfect?

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I love Pages in the iWork suite. I have to interact with Word ( XX) ) users all the time and with journal publishers. Never had a problem. I came from an Appleworks background too.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Also, Pages can open AppleWorks and ClarisWorks documents no problem (for the most part), unlike anything else on the market.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Just a third vote for Pages. Leopard is the end of the line for AppleWorks, and Pages is the way forward. It will require learning anew, because it uses a different methodology, but I think you'll find that, once learned, it replaces both AppleWorks' "word processing" module and Quark very effectively.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Purchased iWorks

Based upon the positive advice herein and especially Chas.,
purchased iWorks 09 (Family Pack account two Macs),
and loaded the software

Shall review same tomorrow; Friday waiting for my chemo chemicals
to drip into my system, to play with the various bits and pieces
on the laptop. The chemo BTW is a preventative
experiment to ensure the Non-Hodgkins Lymphona does not
return; I also have Lupus which complicates the issue.
The six hours for the drip to happen is free time for me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Based upon the positive advice herein and especially Chas.,
purchased iWorks 09 (Family Pack account two Macs),
and loaded the software

Shall review same tomorrow; Friday waiting for my chemo chemicals
to drip into my system, to play with the various bits and pieces
on the laptop. The chemo BTW is a preventative
experiment to ensure the Non-Hodgkins Lymphona does not
return; I also have Lupus which complicates the issue.
The six hours for the drip to happen is free time for me.
You'll enjoy Pages.

All the best for your therapy.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I'm a writer by trade (film critic is the hat I'm currently wearing). To my way of thinking, there are two classes of word processors: text editors (aka glorified typewriters) and layout tools that can also do word processing.

After years of using a wide variety of such tools, my favourite text editors (in order) are:
1. TextEdit
2. Bean
3. Mariner Write
4. AppleWorks
5. xPad

And my favourite layout tools are:

1. Pages
2. InDesign
3. Quark
4. Multi-Ad Creator
5. (draws blank) -- german-based DTP program, one of those things you're surprised is still around after all these years -- not ReadySteadyGo, but started with an "R" ...

If I was only allowed to take one of these to a desert island, it would be Pages.

Haven't used Google Docs, but almost every other non-techie text editor under the sun, I've tried it.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I'll second that vote for TextEdit...it doesn't get anywhere near the respect it deserves. Pages 09 is great for documents that require formatting and all the bells and whistles. Both can open and save in Word format.

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
I should also throw in the pot two others - BBEdit and TextWrangler. The former is ridiculously powerful, with built-in support for HTML, GREP, Python and who knows what else - it's the jack knife of plain-text editors (I coded my first few years of web pages from '93 onwards with BBEdit).
The first version of the BBEdit was created as a "proof of concept" for a "bare bones" text editor to replace the text editor included with Macs at the time, TeachText, which could not read files larger than 32K. (BBEdit Wikipedia Page)
TextWrangler is essentially a free version of BBEdit. Limited to a degree, but still extremely useful.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Pages is fine, but I really prefer Word 2008 for heavy-duty word processing. There's simply nothing else like it. Excel is super, too. Those two apps justify Microsoft's existence, IMHO.

For text processing, I use BBEdit 9. Another best-of-the-breed.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Glad to see all these thumbs-up for Pages. I converted a few months after getting my MacBook (May/07) from Word. Love it. I use for basic WP, teaching units, student templates, etc. Nothing too fancy. But it's amazing. I also like that I can convert anything to Word if necessary, for my PC friends.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm a writer by trade (film critic is the hat I'm currently wearing). To my way of thinking, there are two classes of word processors: text editors (aka glorified typewriters) and layout tools that can also do word processing.

After years of using a wide variety of such tools, my favourite text editors (in order) are:
1. TextEdit
2. Bean
3. Mariner Write
4. AppleWorks
5. xPad

And my favourite layout tools are:

1. Pages
2. InDesign
3. Quark
4. Multi-Ad Creator
5. (draws blank) -- german-based DTP program, one of those things you're surprised is still around after all these years -- not ReadySteadyGo, but started with an "R" ...
Chas_m, was the German DTP program called Ragtime?

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I should also throw in the pot two others - BBEdit and TextWrangler.
Good of you to mention them, but they're really more geared towards "text processing" in the programming sense of the term (from HTML to python, etc). Not really the right tool for normal (creative) word processing. This is the same reason I didn't mention pico or vi, both built-in to the Mac and accessible via the Terminal. Not what a "writer" is looking for.

I vote Open Office or Neo Office <snip> Both are good Microsoft office-like software suites... and best of all, both are also free!
Good point, but both are "bloated" from the perspective of someone who JUST wants a word processor, as both packages are integrated with other modules that are irrelevant (to some). AbiWord, on the other hand, is just the "Word-like" part of OO/NO codebase (correct me if I'm wrong about this), so that's an option I didn't originally mention. Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.