Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....it arrived today. My new MBP. Apple told me it would take 3-5 days and they did it in two. I am just in awe.

I LOVE the new computer smell this machine has, just incredible.

Front row has blown me away.

The speed...from 512 to TWO GIGS of RAM... WOW

The hard drive...160, although it says i only have 130 of free space. I assume the OS is taking the other 30 up.

Everything feels so different from my old PB. The texture of the keys, the trackpad. I am going to wait to drain the battery until this thing shuts down before charging it again.

WOW....kudos to apple-care for the replacement, for the refund of the remainder of my applecare to a cash value. The guys at customer relations where incredible!!!

I LOVE this machine, and the entire 'new mac' experience. The first time you open the machine...you turn it on...it's incredible.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
The hard drive...160, although it says i only have 130 of free space. I assume the OS is taking the other 30 up.
As Another_Paul said, 160 Formats to ~148GB. OS X takes up about 6 or so and then iLife (garageband/iDVD especially) takes up a couple of gigs.

Glad you love the computer -- and glad to add another checkmark to the column for "Buy Applecare -- here's why..." :D

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
WOW....kudos to apple-care for the replacement, for the refund of the remainder of my applecare to a cash value. The guys at customer relations where incredible!!!

I LOVE this machine, and the entire 'new mac' experience. The first time you open the machine...you turn it on...it's incredible.
I have never heard someone talk about DELL that way.
;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can you remove printer drivers, etc... from OS X or should you reformat right off the bat and select not to install the drivers? I don't remember seeing that option before but I know that's recommended to save HD space.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
jackyk: Yeah, that's a good way to save a few GB if you need to -- reformat and take out languages, printer drivers, and any iLife stuff you won't use -- ie: Garageband and iDVD, etc... if you don't want them (or if you're going to be using Logic or DVDStudioPro instead ;) )

·
Registered
226 Posts
jackyk: Yeah, that's a good way to save a few GB if you need to -- reformat and take out languages, printer drivers, and any iLife stuff you won't use -- ie: Garageband and iDVD, etc... if you don't want them (or if you're going to be using Logic or DVDStudioPro instead ;) )
you can choose which components of iLife you want as well? Or are you talking about just dragging and dropping to the trash from OS X?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
you can choose which components of iLife you want as well? Or are you talking about just dragging and dropping to the trash from OS X?
When you do a fresh install from the backup CDs that come with your computer, you can choose with of the iLife Applications, and also some application-specific options (ie: In Garageband you can choose to install the loops, or not).

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Wow -- the most Monolingual ever removed for me was like 2.2 Gigs. 5 Gigs of Languages is a LOT. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Wow -- the most Monolingual ever removed for me was like 2.2 Gigs. 5 Gigs of Languages is a LOT. ;)
It probably was closer to 3gigs now that you mention it. Still, it was a simple way without having to reinstall.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It probably was closer to 3gigs now that you mention it. Still, it was a simple way without having to reinstall.
How much less RAM does OS X use after using Monolingual? I am seeing about 600MB after fresh reboots. Seems like a lot on my MBP since I know my Mac Pro uses only about 300MB after restarts (before "bloating").

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Did you remove the language packs (leaving just English) or did you remove the input menus and the architectures as well?

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Monolingual has been known to upset Rosetta... so take note is you have any need for Rosetta. The warning above to be careful should be noted. Since the computer is new a better way to eliminate languages and printers, etc. is to do a new erase and install using the customisation feature. You are talking about saving (give or take) 3 gig out of a capacity of 160 - that is 1.875%... scarcely worth the trouble...

ps: I also love my old school MBP (old school in this case is a 2gHz CoreDuo)..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Monolingual has been known to upset Rosetta... so take note is you have any need for Rosetta. The warning above to be careful should be noted. Since the computer is new a better way to eliminate languages and printers, etc. is to do a new erase and install using the customisation feature. You are talking about saving (give or take) 3 gig out of a capacity of 160 - that is 1.875%... scarcely worth the trouble...

ps: I also love my old school MBP (old school in this case is a 2gHz CoreDuo)..
I am saying that my Mac Pro desktop uses 300MB of ram for OS X while my Macbook Pro use double that (600MB) for OS X. Can OS X differ that much size? If so, how can I scale it down now that I have installed all my apps and set up the laptop with out having to do a clean install?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts