Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least for Canada that is.
The better exchange rate is finally being reflected. Cool.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
holy kernel panik: 900Mhz! I've been bugging a friend of mine to get the iBook. This is so hot. This might throw another wrinkle in the used lap pricing. Interesting... this seemingly came with no huge announcement - that I can tell. Great move. wow.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I hope they adjust their PowerMac prices soon, they're still priced 1.6x the US price.

Their exchange calculator is a little wacked too... the ibooks are priced 1.50x 1.54x 1.54x and 1.57x the US price. Why is the multiplier increasing. The current exchange rate is 1.45, but I can understand Apple being at 1.50 (it's best to stay two months or so behind). 1.57 and 1.60 is ridiculous.

·
Registered
196 Posts
On the subject of iBooks and prices, I am at long last able to buy a new Macintosh :D

In particular, I'm thinking of buying it from London Drugs (Vancouver) and getting extra memory, Airport, and AppleCare.

My question is: How negotiable are prices (i.e. how much can I expect to knock off the $2000 iBook)?

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Hey I posted this an hour ago and nobody seemed to notice or care, oh well
Its great to see this kind of deal.
and no I dont think the prices are negotiable:tonyhere.
At least not in my neck of the woods, unless its an open box or demo model., you may get extra ram or a free printer with some purchases. Shop around.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
yes, this summer will finally be the time of mac for me!

i also noticed they bumped the vram of the lowest model to 32mb!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sweet prices, I like dat! :D We do HOWEVER, know that IBMs Sahara is capable of higher MHz and WE KNOW Apple's holdin' back because of the current PowerBook situation and the whole chip transition that's going to go down this year -- still a rumour but likely.

The graphics are now up to snuff for Quartz Extreme in the low-end iBook. People will just have to wait for the 3rd generation iBook for Airport Extreme. About the fact the low-end only has a cd-rom, that's not really acceptable -- it should AT LEAST have a DVD-ROM. PC laptops in the $1499 range can be found with combo drives, and students would FLOCK to the $1499 iBook if it had a combo drive. Ram should be MINIMUM 256mb in the low-end.

Apple went back on their word -- GOOD THING -- that new announced 2003s would be OS 9 free -- these new iBooks are DUAL BOOT!!! PROPS to listenin' to the people!!!
:cool:

[ April 22, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Tomac ]

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Welcome Tonyhere.

Negotiable? Never knew Official Mac resellers to drop a price unless we have a promo running. So I don't expect anything to drop - other than that $$ out your pocket.

Tomac - I could not agree with you more. But I think that Apple is trying to force all to the 900 Mhz. Why would anyone buy anything less than a combo drive when faced with the op? Dual boot is hype -part of the reason that I have held on to my Pismo.

Heart - Will you drop you Pismo if the 15" AlBook comes out?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Is my hearing going or did the Canadian Loonie actually reach 69 cents US yesterday?

I think I'm in shock.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yes, the Canadian loony has been going above the $0.69 mark the last few days. It's mainly due to the weakening US dollar, which is due to their budget deficit and the cost of the war. Of course, it hasn't consistently stayed above $0.69, it usually dips back down just under $0.69.

Heart - Will you drop you Pismo if the 15" AlBook comes out?
I don't know about Heart, but I'll definitely be trading in my Pismo if a new 15" Albook comes out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts