10,621 Posts
Blake:
Tiger Tiger. burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Last year, my Literature 12 class wanted to get t-shirts that read,

What the anvil?

You know, instead of WTF. Maybe you had to be there . . .

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
BTW, Margaret didn't give us the full headline, which read as follows:

Woman mauled to death by tiger in BC interior--Toronto residents heard to ask, BC has an interior?

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Never, never, never trust a cat.

Spoken as a cat lover. Our guy is a total sweetheart, but I always have the little thought in the back of my mind that he could claw or bite me when I least expect it, not out of malice, simply out of the twitchiness that is part of a cat's brain. It's in the genetics to pounce on moving objects, which is why they will chase things out of play, even if they're not hungry. Sometimes when he's annoyed and I haven't picked up on his mood, he'll give me a little nip, or a little claw, without sinking his teeth or claws in, but I can't imagine what that would be like if he was the size of a tiger.

I heard additional reporting on this story today that indicated the tiger was swiping at the woman's dress which was blowing in the wind and that it was a single swipe that opened up an artery. There is no indication that she was "mauled" or attacked beyond the one swipe and it's reported that she was able to pet the tiger and be close to it, as many would with a pet. She probably just let down her guard which was the fatal mistake.

It's clear that these people were amateurs and weren't treating the animals with enough caution. A needless death and it's tragic that the kids had to watch their mother bleed to death in front of them.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
“The pet tiger that killed a woman from 100 Mile House, B.C., was euthanized Saturday by a veterinarian, with the approval of the animal's owner.”

Pet tiger in B.C. mauling death euthanized
This pisses me off. It is a wild animal, not a pet and not the animals fault but the stupid owners fault. Should never have had a wild animal within reach of the public and now the poor tiger is killed for behaving like a tiger. We put humans that kill other humans behind bars, feed them and support them for 25+yrs, but we kill a wild animal for being a wild animal in a place it never had a choice in being in in the first place.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
This pisses me off. It is a wild animal, not a pet and not the animals fault but the stupid owners fault. Should never have had a wild animal within reach of the public and now the poor tiger is killed for behaving like a tiger. We put humans that kill other humans behind bars, feed them and support them for 25+yrs, but we kill a wild animal for being a wild animal in a place it never had a choice in being in in the first place.
Agreed, completely. I find it ridiculous how we kill off animals that kill humans, especially when the animal in question is already caged. Animals - tigers especially - are hunters and vicious predators. This isn't a case where the animal in question was supposed to be harmless (naturally speaking), but then ended up becoming something it wasn't. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Agreed, completely. I find it ridiculous how we kill off animals that kill humans, especially when the animal in question is already caged. Animals - tigers especially - are hunters and vicious predators. This isn't a case where the animal in question was supposed to be harmless (naturally speaking), but then ended up becoming something it wasn't. :rolleyes:
it was God's will
;)

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Headline: B.C. tiger mauling a wake-up call for Ont., groups say

"You don't need a licence to keep a tiger in Ontario and no training whatsoever," said Melissa Tkachyk of the World Society for the Protection of Animals. "Keeping a tiger on your property, it should be considered as dangerous as keeping a loaded gun."
As dangerous as a loaded gun? In my humble opinion it is infinitely more dangerous to keep a wild animal. At least the gun can't just take a notion to start shooting people.

Margaret

1 - 19 of 19 Posts