Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
speaking of routers....
anyone here have any experience with wireless routers (WAP) that SUPPORT AppleTalk from an Apple Powerbook with a Apple Airport (regular version) card installed?

i read the reviews from an article posted earlier and the NetGear seemed the best of the bunch but NetGear's site says that their routers do NOT support AppleTalk.

Called my supplier re: NetGear MR314 and it has been replaced by the NetGear MR814 which does not support appletalk.

i checked out Asanté site thinking they support appletalk wireless via airport cards but the info. is not too obvious but you would think asanté would support appletalk, right?

Any anecdotal evidence of a wireless router supporting airport cards would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gravman and RTC,\
thanx for your replies.

Gravman, which model of the Asanté wireless router do you have ?

Thanx again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have been using an SMC 7004AWBR for over a year now. AppleTalk works just fine, including wireless to ethernet bridging. The web-based configuration works just fine in pretty much any Mac browser and firmware upgrades are easy too.

Only one problem - once in a long while (every 3 months or so) the wireless connection seems to get confused in the router and it stops talking to my Powerbook. A reboot of the router has always fixed this problem in a matter of seconds.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it.

- Martin.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I am using a netgear router and ABS and it works just fine. The set up we have at work (netgear router and netgear WAP) also works jim dandy.

SMC products should work fine for you as well. Asante as well.

Personally, at the moment I would suggest you give D-Link a try. Their products have made leaps and bounds in terms of quality in the last 6 months, and they have a Mac logo right on the box.

Linksys doesn't support Mac, but I didn't have a problem when we had one at work.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
I hear that certain MacDonald's outlets in various cities will have wireless Internet connections for their customers. "We do it all for you...." will take on an expanded meaning.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PosterBoy typed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Personally, at the moment I would suggest you give D-Link a try. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do like D-Link products.

I installed D-Link di 614+ wireless router and could not get it route appletalk over wireless to and from an Apple 15" AlBook with an Apple Airport Card installed.

The "wired" ports on the router do support AppleTalk.

Luckily the client has DAVE installed on their macs to access the XP machine setup as their server / accounting computer. The AlBook prints via a DAVE shared printer on an eMac on the network.

The non-support of appletalk over the wireless was confirmed by my call to D-Link tech support.

Looks like Asante wireless router is the next best bet.

Unless of course someone here knows something that D-Link tech support was not telling me...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The issue is Appletalk bridging from the wired to the wireless side - say you have an appletalk printer that you want to print to wirelessly. The printer cannot communicate using TCP/IP, hence the need for the passing of AppleTalk packets from the wireless side (AirPort) of the router to the wired (Lan).
Apple themselves have dropped support for AppleTalk (OS X uses TCP/IP by default), so its hard to imagine a 3rd party including Appletalk support.
The NetGear MR314 did have this feature, but is now discontinued. The LinkSys products do not support this, and the only product I was aware of that did, was the Apple Airport base station.
It is good to hear that the Asante products do support this feature !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts