Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Wireless router

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Bertrand (Fr) 
#1 ·
What's a good (and cheap) wireless router to use with airport extreme...??

Any insight??

#2 ·
TCB, I have a year old Linksys wireless router, with two desktops plugged in to the back and the new iBook drawing it's signal to type this post. The only thing that seems to interrupt it's signal is when the microwave is running. They are less than $100 at Futureshop now, which is where I get my electronic equipment here in St.John's.

#4 ·
I have Airport Extreme in my new iBook and I am typing from my dining room table. All goes well until my son decides to make some microwave popcorn or a nacho plate with melted cheese. Then the signal is temporarily disconnected. Turn off the microwave and the signal is returned.

#6 ·
Jonmon, microwave ovens and certain cordless phones have been known to disrupt wireless communications within a home environment. I read about it, but did not consider it until it took place this afternoon.

#7 ·
I've also found certain Dells will kill your connection too. :mad:

I use the NetGear MR814v2, which works flawlessly with the Airport Extreme card (even though it is a b router, but since its for surfing the web, it doesn't matter) except when the Dell in the house is turned on.

#9 ·
Chealion, I hate to "rain on your parade", especially with all of the help you have given to me, but I tested out the speed of my DSL connection via cable and wireless. I had two Dell Desktops going via cable connection to the router, and my wife's old Dell Inspiron and my new iBook going via the wireless connection. They were all "humming" along well, downloading various sites, and my son was playing an online game for part of this time. The iBook and Dell were right next to each other on the dining room table.

Still, your theory may be correct, and it was merely the positive karma of finally having a new Mac in the house that brought positive vibrations and wireless internet connections via wi-fi.

#10 ·
It was a combination of a jab at Dell, and a splurt of frustration. I finally figured out (after a week) why the Airport Extreme card seemed so flaky in the iBook I got. It turns out whenever the Dell is on, it kills the wireless connection. I tried moving the router once (I just moved it to a higher shelf, so its about 4 feet vertically from the Dell, with a desk top between them.), and that didn't help. I'm going to try and move the router even farther, but knowing that the Dell is the source of the problem irks me, especially when during testing when you plug in the Dell, you see all the lights on the router flash as the Dell pings everything. I'm really frustrated about it. Really frustrated.

Dr. G - I think it just is the Dell I have. Something very screwy. The Mac (any of the 3) when it starts up or is plugged in, doesn't cause all the lights to flash, it just turns on the light saying it has been connected.

#11 ·
Chealion, it could be the positive karma in my house as a counterbalance to your negative karma with the Dell and iBook near each other. There is an equilibrium that exists in Life, and it manifests itself in mysterious ways. Macdoc might be better able to explain the Eastern origins of this balance/equilibrium/"yin-yang" far better than I am able to just now.

#14 ·
Jonmon may be correct. It is hidden under the lopsided "E" in the DELL name on all of their computers. I took ours out and fed it to the doxies. Now, their evil thoughts may be monitored in sunny Texas.

Chealion, I tried the same experiement but reversed the order. Thus, the Dell Inspiron was connected first and then the iBook. For some reason, the iBook was only get 1 to 2 of those little lines which I think refers to signal strength. So, maybe the Dell is sending out some sort of interference? Go figure.

#17 ·
Macspectrum, I would not go so far as to say your crazy.............still......... :D
:D
Just fooling.

Actually, I am going to try and set up the two laptops on wi-fi, but distance them apart to see it they interact in any way. We shall see.

#18 ·
I just picked up a new Belkin 54G wireless router @ Walmart for $139.89 yesterday. Model is F5D7230-4

I flashed the unit with the latest firmware (official 802.11g specs) and its work perfectly with my new Aluminum PowerBook 15".

Best deal around I've been able to find without having to deal with rabates and crap.

#21 ·
I use a Peabird router, I think that you don't know this kind of system in your country. This is like D-link or Netgear.
No problem with Aiport old generation.

The owner of this mark is a french guy of my friends.

Dr. G, don't eat too much popcorn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.