Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've decided to ditch my dying Linksys router (first generation BEFSR41 that served me well) and a completely unreliable Netgear MR814 (which needs a reboot every week).

I'm considering a few options like the Apple Airport Extreme, the Linksys WRT300N and WRT350N. My number 1 criteria is reliability and I could almost care less about the price...if there's something out there for $500 but is rock solid, I'll pay it!

The systems connecting to this include a Mac Pro, a couple of Dell PowerEdge servers (with gigabit ethernet which the Linksys WRT350N supports but the Apple doesn't) and a couple of wireless notebooks.

Anyway, I'd like to hear people's recommendations and experience if they have one of these (or other) wireless routers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy,

The router that I'm going crazy for right now is the Belkin N1 Vision. 802.11n wireless, with 3x3 MIMO design (superior speed and distance)... Not to mention 4 gigabit wired ports and all the bells and whistles a real techno-junkie would need.

Interestingly enough, it's about the same price as competing routers, have a look at for yourself, I'm sure you'll be sold.

http://belkin.com/n1vision/intro/

Cheers,
bcode

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Wicked link/item.

Belkin : N1 Vision

Howdy,

The router that I'm going crazy for right now is the Belkin N1 Vision. 802.11n wireless, with 3x3 MIMO design (superior speed and distance)... Not to mention 4 gigabit wired ports and all the bells and whistles a real techno-junkie would need.

Interestingly enough, it's about the same price as competing routers, have a look at for yourself, I'm sure you'll be sold.

Belkin : N1 Vision : Intro

Cheers,
bcode

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The router that I'm going crazy for right now is the Belkin N1 Vision.
For the record, I've read a lot of reviews and Belkin, generally, doesn't seem to do well.

In a Tom's Hardware review of the N1 (not the Vision)...to quote, "The other nasty is the astoundingly bad throughput performance in the modes that are most likely to be used by buyers."

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Just buy the Apple Airport Extreme and be done with it. You'll feel better afterward.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just buy the Apple Airport Extreme and be done with it. You'll feel better afterward.
Do you have one? What's your experience? How often do you have to reset or reboot? Are there disconnection issues? I've been reading the Apple forums and there seem to be a lot of issues with it...a lot of bugs. The general consensus is that it's definitely a v1.0 product and that's not what I'm looking for.

Based on everything I've read so far, I've narrowed my decision to:

Cisco 857W - $450 (rock solid but you pay for it...well, it is a Cisco :D )

3Com OfficeConnect - $150 (recommended highly by SOHO & small business types)

Motorola Netopia 3387WG - $150 (used by a lot of mom & pop ISPs who love it's reliability)

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I've been reading the Apple forums and there seem to be a lot of issues with it...a lot of bugs. The general consensus is that it's definitely a v1.0 product and that's not what I'm looking for.
Total number of units sold divided by number of actual issues (not including user ignorance) equals an expectedly low ratio of problematic units.

According to my preferred reseller, who has sold MANY new AEBS units, it's as good or better than the older version.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Do you have one? What's your experience? How often do you have to reset or reboot? Are there disconnection issues? I've been reading the Apple forums and there seem to be a lot of issues with it...a lot of bugs. The general consensus is that it's definitely a v1.0 product and that's not what I'm looking for.
I have one of the new Wireless N apple routers. I've basically forgotten about it. It sits there and works. I've got it connected to a Apple Express through WDS. Gives my powerbook good reception.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The wireless routers that I recommend are:

Linksys:

WRT350N (Great if you want to share a hard drive)

WRT330N (Great for gammers!)

Cisco:

Cisco 800 Series (Business/commercial grade)

D-Link:

DI-724GU (Business Grade)

Apple:

Airport Extreme (seamless integration with your Mac)

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
I'd rather go with Apple's choices, but for them as wouldn't...

While the N1 Vision router (see above) isn't available yet, Belkin's N1 router is out now, and on sale today at Dell for $90 instead of the regular $130:

Small Business: N1 Wireless N Router

Belkin : N1 Wireless Router

N1 Wireless Router

Part # F5D8231-4

Connecting the Belkin N1 Wireless Router to your cable or DSL modem lets you share your broadband Internet account with all your networked computers. Now you can exchange documents, share resources, and distribute large video and music files throughout your network within a greater range, at faster speeds.N1 offers the easiest setup ever, and our built-in Network Status Display lets you see your connections working. Each icon represents a network component, so you can easily monitor your connections for fast troubleshooting. Based on the 802.11n draft, N1 Wireless uses smart-antenna technology to enable multiple receivers and transmitters to send and receive data wirelessly.Intelligent MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) spatial multiplexing techniques build upon the widely deployed 802.11g standard by greatly increasing speed, range, and faster speeds of up to 300Mbps*.*NOTE: The standard transmission rate--300Mbps--is the physical data rate. Actual data throughput will be lower.

Advantages
• Shares your Internet connection and lets you simultaneously:
Stream HD video Listen to digital music Play online games Transfer photos and home videos Shop online and surf the Web Email and chat Handle multiple VoIP phone calls

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Just stay away from the Linksys stuff. Horribly unreliable. I've seen more failures with those than any other brand with my customers. I prefer D-Link products.
I personally have a 4-year old Belkin that has never let me down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts