Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the I Am In Heaven thread, quite a few people mention the NetGear MR314 wireless router. What other wireless routers would you recommend for use with a PowerBook with Airport?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
SMC works well.. but they have little JS bugs in their web installer.. you almost need a PC to configure it.. but once it is going.. no problems..

Linksys.. well.. they are not the most secure but they are cheap and work fairly well..

I've never used D-Link or NetGear.. I can't recommend or deny them...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
My 3¢.

NetGeat, NetGear.... That's what I've used thrice now. No sweat at all. I've used a 4 port and 2 wifis. I bought the newer rev2 80211b w/ 4 ports. Works great AND is nice and small. I have the same in the office (rev 1). All is well there too. Still selling my 4 port (which is still under warranty).

I know that Neil Y will back my bytes of text as well. ;) He's got the 80211g one from NetGear. I like them so far. Had an SMC wifi that I could not config. Still have it actually. RtC mentioned the shaky JS. Whoa.... Too bad though. But it was still and experience that I rather forget.

H!

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I swear by my Linksys 802.11g easy to use, setup and connects with everything. I currently have Linux, OS X and WIN NT machines connecting with ease.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Finch, here's my Q? to you:

How does your Linksys perform in mixed modes? I read that getting a b and g card to function on the same access point will cut the transmission rates - [read: they will be shared]. :(

I'll find the link somewhere....

H!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Finch, here's my Q? to you:

How does your Linksys perform in mixed modes? I read that getting a b and g card to function on the same access point will cut the transmission rates - [read: they will be shared]. :(

I'll find the link somewhere....

H!

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
If you're Mac only get a router that's fully supported on the Mac.

I ran into some of the same issues mentioned by Macspectrum, but also having a Dell laptop it wasn't a big deal. In many cases there are workarounds to these problems, but are a PITA...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm using NetGear's WGR614, which is an excellent 54g (aka Airport Extreme) WiFi Router. What I like about the NetGear (over Belkin, Linksys, and DLink) is that NetGear seems to really put quality engineering effort, design, and components into their products. From the outside, the silver and clear plastics blend well with any recent to modern Mac. Its LEDs are little lit pictures, and it can be oriented vertically, horizontally, and even on a wall. The antenna swivels all around, but can not be removed. I've taken it all apart, and it's using a MicroPCI card (a little-known standard) with dual antenna ports. I've bought a pigtail cable which goes from the spare micro antenna port, and then bought a 2-foot 8dBA Omnidirectional DSSS antenna, which allowed me to extend the range of the WGR614 to roughly a half mile outside the home, and everywhere within the home itself. As far as the software, firmware, and its configuration, it's bloody simple stuff. Far easier to use and configure than both Linksys and Belkin. Plug it in to your DSL/Cable model, hard connect a RJ45 Ethernet cable into a Mac (or PC), connect to the router, and a wizard is available. Plug in the numbers, and it'll reset itself, and boom - it works. It automatically configured itself to work with MSN/ICQ/FTP and other common ports (which you can turn off manually if you want). NetGear just recently did an IPO and raised $95M US. Firmware updates are available on a regular basis and are simple to install. I've used numerous Belkin and Linksys routers, and the Belkin was very flaky with its software/configuration and tended to over-complicate port forwarding and the like for IM apps and other comm ports. Also, I found that both of my Belkin routers had to be reset on a daily basis to gain back full network performance. Linksys on the other hand, well, they just end-up dying on their own accord. I know tons of friends, family, and myself included where our Linksys routers have kicked the bucket. In terms of AppleTalk compatibility? I haven't used AppleTalk since 1999, so I'm not really concerned with this. Anyways, i'm blabbering, but having reviewed 100s of products, I've developed an ability to identify good products, and NetGear is on the ball these days.

N.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
for mac only installations I like to recommend Asanté.

be aware that D-Link routers have problems;

1. being setup by a Mac
2. having the firmware updated by a Mac

I have no experience with Netgear, but when I called their tech. support they said that their rotuers DO NOT support AppleTalk over wireless.

Again, back to Asanté. Not cheap mind you, but they work very well in Mac and mixed environments.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually the Microsoft wireless router works perfectly with my macs. The thing is set up using internet explorer or netscape, quite easily. Macs on my network see each other perfectly and both use internet. Works as described for good price. (Actually the first broke after 2 weeks but FS replaced it.)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Using a NetGear MR814. Works perfectly, although without a wireless card yet, its only a simple router. Works great so far, easy to set up with PC or Mac. Can't wait to get a laptop with an Airport Card to go surfing

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did some more research and found out that I can use almost any 802.11b compatible PC Card with the IOXperts 802.11b driver (I'm still in Mac OS 9). With Mac OS X, as long as you have AirPort 3.1 installed, most 802.11b/g cards will work with no 3rd-party drivers. From what I've read so far, the Orinoco Silver 802.11b Silver PC card is the one to get.

Does anybody use a 3rd-party 802.11b PC Card with their PowerBook?

Are the 802.11g (Extreme) backwards compatible with 802.11b? Looks like I answered my own question: the Orinoco card supports b/g networks.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
433 Posts
DO NOT BUY THE MICROSOFT ROUTER!

it will not work with your mac.

period.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just bought the Belkin 802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router F5D7230-4.
Works excellent!! :D
I can configure it with Safari or my XP winbox.  
The firewall and other settings are easy to setup.
I only have the regular Airport in my Pismo, but the Belkin is backwards compatible with 802.11b.
No software to install and OS X.2.6 found it right away as a Belkin54g.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I currently have a NetGear MR814 wireless, & before that I used their RT314 router. No complaints about either one, and no problems whatsoever using airport cards with the MR814. The range is quite good, I have one machine in my basement, with the router on the main floor, and the signal strength down there shows nearly 80%. This in your typical wood constructed 3 level townhouse.

The MR814 is being practically given away for US$25.00 after rebate. At that price it's a no-brainer...
http://dealmac.com/articles/54904.html

-GW

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I've found no lag in a mixed mode environment at all. If there is a lag of any sort on the network it usually do to my cable internet provider.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.