Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Wireless router recommendation?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Jordan 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a wireless router and would appreciate any recommendations. My current set-up is this:

Beige G3 desktop with OS 9.2 > ethernet cable to > Sasktel supplied high-speed (lite) modem to> phone line.

I'd like a wireless connection so my powerbook can access the internet and maybe share some files with the G3.

Any recommendations for a plug in and go, no-brainer (cause that's the kind of guy I am) kind of set up? What kind of configuring to these things need?

Thanks

#2 ·
for mac only environments i really like the Asanté

supports AppleTalk over wireless so you can use a network printer too.

also, all administration of the router via mac is ok

some routers prefer to be adminstered by a Windows machine

#5 ·
They are all relatively easy to use, and I use a NetGear MR814 v2, just install in the chain you have between the computers and the modem, and a minute or so of set-up (most of which is reading the instructions on the side *if* you get lost).

Near all routers come with a card or piece of paper that tells you the information needed to enter on the router to connect to your ISP, but many don't even need that info.

#8 ·
Hey hey so here is the conclusion from above: they're all good but Airport is expensive...

#11 ·
My wireless is a sordid mix of refrence boards and prototype crap, but the D-Link 614+ seems pretty good, I have set a few people up with it.

Airport was pretty good in 1999 when wireless was still pretty unreliable or complicated. But today Airport is no better or worse than anything else from a good brand.

The D-Link gear has a nice Texas Instruments chipset and insane range. It's also only about $120.

there is some really cheap SMC stuff, but it's junk and not good for much unless you live in a one room apartment and a small one at that.

#12 ·
d-link certainly offers one of the best bang for buck hardware in networking products and they have canadian tech. support too

i don't think their router supports appletalk over wireless though

something to be concerned about... especially when it comes to wireless routers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.