Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a wireless router and would appreciate any recommendations. My current set-up is this:

Beige G3 desktop with OS 9.2 > ethernet cable to > Sasktel supplied high-speed (lite) modem to> phone line.

I'd like a wireless connection so my powerbook can access the internet and maybe share some files with the G3.

Any recommendations for a plug in and go, no-brainer (cause that's the kind of guy I am) kind of set up? What kind of configuring to these things need?

Thanks

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
for mac only environments i really like the Asanté

supports AppleTalk over wireless so you can use a network printer too.

also, all administration of the router via mac is ok

some routers prefer to be adminstered by a Windows machine

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
Have to say I love my AirPort, thought I've had great success with Linksys wireless routers I've setup for clients. Easy to setup, stable and reliable they also offer an 800# support line should you need?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Have a look at the Belkin 54g model. Macworld gave a very good review in the last issue.

I bought it and set up was a snap. Instructions for set up are very clear

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
They are all relatively easy to use, and I use a NetGear MR814 v2, just install in the chain you have between the computers and the modem, and a minute or so of set-up (most of which is reading the instructions on the side *if* you get lost).

Near all routers come with a card or piece of paper that tells you the information needed to enter on the router to connect to your ISP, but many don't even need that info.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I have an airport because it has the USB printer port. I would have probably gotten a Netgear or Linksys if it had one or if I didn't need the printer port.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Hey hey so here is the conclusion from above: they're all good but Airport is expensive...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Picked up an SMC a few weeks ago for $39.99 after rebate, works great.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
My wireless is a sordid mix of refrence boards and prototype crap, but the D-Link 614+ seems pretty good, I have set a few people up with it.

Airport was pretty good in 1999 when wireless was still pretty unreliable or complicated. But today Airport is no better or worse than anything else from a good brand.

The D-Link gear has a nice Texas Instruments chipset and insane range. It's also only about $120.

there is some really cheap SMC stuff, but it's junk and not good for much unless you live in a one room apartment and a small one at that.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
d-link certainly offers one of the best bang for buck hardware in networking products and they have canadian tech. support too

i don't think their router supports appletalk over wireless though

something to be concerned about... especially when it comes to wireless routers

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
edit: I don't think what I said made sense

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I'm with Chealion here. I have 2 NetGears WiFis (v1 +v2) and they both work wonderfully.

H!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am using Linksys's, cable router, wireless accesspoint, and wireless ethernet bridge, along with a couple of Airport cards, all with no problems. :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts