Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Powell River BC over the weekend and found a cafe with a wireless connection (free), the thing is, I could sit in my car with my Pismo out in the parking lot and get a strong signal!! Does anyone know how this is possible? How could I get my Belkin 54g get that kind of range?

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's probably that they have much more expensive Cisco wirless lan system. (I know that is what they use at the WiFi enabled starbucks in the states.)
It would be safe to assume that a 1000$ product should be working better than a 150$ one.

Also check for interferance in your area, it could be that.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
You could also just add a new antenna to the router. They sell booster antennae so that you can increase the range dramatically. Will also depend on surroundings - but on flat ground, you can get some crazy range... NetGear has a few. Check the bottom of the page. Up to a 15 km range!

H!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It's all related to how they configure the system, exactly what kind of antennae is used, and sometimes how the antennae is oriented (ie if you can orient it in special ways).

All antennae act like that, and wireless 2.4 is no different.

As an example, here's how to reduce or eliiminate a wireless signal outside your home. Place a wireless router (with the two antennae) in the basement of your home, centrally located. Extend and cross the antennae in an X shape (crossing each other).

Now the broadcast/recieve pattern is tall and cylindrical; you will be able to use it easily on the main and second floor but it won't work outside the home or at large distances from the central area if your home is big.

By the way, this is the recommended method for maximum security of your home/home office wireless network.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
GG with the gospel.

So are you saying that by crossing the 2 antennae like samurai swords in battle, that will send the signal vertically, and then limit the outward propagation of the signal?? You have an online diagram you want to point me to dude? That sounds hype! :D

H!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts