Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a LONG RANGE wireless solution. Something inexpensive. It can even have a mast or external/ outside antena.
Need like 4-5km or so out of the unit.
It will almost be line of sight. No MAJOR obsticles in its path. It even has a 2km lake to cross. I would think that would be in our favour.

Ethernet networking for a remote location.

It may even be able to be split up if someone suggests like a wireless repeater at the midpoint or something.

Anyway, I looked on the net and keep comming up with typical consumer solutions which have 150' range.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
If its in line of sight, you can use a directional antenna that goes MUCH farther, although I'm not sure if you can get it to go 4-5km. Dr. Bott sells such antenna for the Airport Base Stations (Extreme ones too.)

Dr. Bott's ExtendAir Direct only promises an extension of 500 feet in one direction however. I've read a home brewed solution that had one Mac user get their Airport base station to broadcast a strong signal to a hill, 1 mile away where he liked to spend time.

EDIT: Homebrew Antenna Shootout (This just so happens to be what Mantat is refering to).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Look on www.slashdot.com in the archive you should be able to find some home built wireless transmiter.

I remember I guy who made a 1-2km transmiter out of a pringle box...

I am sure you can find more custom made solution on the net.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the input. I have found some inexpensive solutions in the 100 for hub range and 100 for antenna range. This should get me anywhere from 5-10 km easily. Proper instal makes a world of difference. High enough, proper cable etc... as close to line of sight as possible.

Thanks all

chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts