Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MacBook Pro and a netbook that is set up to access the internet wirelessly via one hidden network ...... using a Bell Sympatico modem and Airport Express (not the latest model). Why is that when I want to use my netbook to get online, the Airport on my MBP has to be turned on and it has to be "connected" to a network ? I find this very bothersome ....... just doesn't seem right.

Does anyone out there know whether I can fix this ? Any comments or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

More Info:
I recently installed Norton Security for Netbook and Norton Security for mac....... don't know whether this makes a difference or not.
My netbook is Asus EeePC: I had tried using this netbook's "Express Gate" to get on line but it did not work.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I have a MacBook Pro and a netbook that is set up to access the internet wirelessly via one hidden network ...... using a Bell Sympatico modem and Airport Express (not the latest model). Why is that when I want to use my netbook to get online, the Airport on my MBP has to be turned on and it has to be "connected" to a network ? I find this very bothersome ....... just doesn't seem right.

Does anyone out there know whether I can fix this ? Any comments or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

More Info:
I recently installed Norton Security for Netbook and Norton Security for mac....... don't know whether this makes a difference or not.
My netbook is Asus EeePC: I had tried using this netbook's "Express Gate" to get on line but it did not work.

It sounds very much like your netbook (NB) is, in reality, getting its connection by "sharing" the MBP's wireless connection rather that connecting to the Airport Express (AX) directly. Obviously this can be fixed by reconfiguring the NB to the correct settings.

Before going into detail on how to do this, please tell how this temporally relates to the installation of the Norton security crap. That is, did it work properly before installing Norton..... I won't touch Norton anything.. YMMV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Accessing the internet wirelessly on my netbook was working properly (that is, using Windows OS) the evening before the installs. But I do not know whether accessing the internet using the Asus' Express Gate was working properly or not. I'm hoping you may have a solution for me. :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Install Linux on the netbook, no more issues ;) but really you may also be having issues using both the Asus Express gate & Windows' wireless network connection, I have had issues when two different pieces of software try to control the wireless network settings at the same time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll look into the linux install. Do you know of a good website to learn how to perform this install ?
You may be right about the network connection issues, it has been suggested to me before. Is it fixable ?
Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links. As for the Windows wireless connection manager, I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the links. As for the Windows wireless connection manager, I have no idea what to do.

May be your asus notebook can not find the hidden network? Try making your network visible first then connect on that network using asus. Make sure you turn off your MBP and AX when doing these.

Once you successfully connected then you can hide your network again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Asus has no problems finding and connecting to the hidden network. But I cannot access the internet until I turn on AX and connect to the network on my MBP.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying to check how the wireless connection is set up on my Asus using Windows 7 Starter. I know zilch about PCs. Does anyone know how to locate "Windows wireless connection manager" ? Comments are much welcome. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.