Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sort of a double topic.
Getting awful tired of wireless USB devices churning through batteries. :mad: I've had a few clients bail back to wired rodents due to slow response ( I can see that but it's tolerable ).
I like the lack of drag that the wireless eliminates but they are sure power hungry :eek:

Anyone got a favorite rechargeable system they like??? I'll pay more if I can get some longevity. I thought digital cameras were bad but you'd think electricity was some form of exotic cheese the way the USB mice munch it up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use PureEnergy rechargable batteries. They are a Canadian company.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Someday, someday, the technology will be there to transfer energy through the air, so you won't need batteries or a recharger. ;)

·
Registered
719 Posts
PureEnergy charger. Pure Energy batteries.

When my first charger seemed wonky, I called the company in the Maritimes. They shipped me a replacement BEFORE I sent them the original.

That is service!

They have aa and aaa batteries

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and a wireless optical mouse since just before Labor Day, and I am on my same batteries. I am using the rechargeable AA's from an old GE system that I have had for my transistor radio.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have a Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical that I use when I am at my desk. Granted I dont use it very often because I am not at my desk a whole lot (maybe 40% of the time), but i am on only my second set of batteries since I bought the thing last winter.
I use Duracell non rechargeables.

For the most part, wireless mmice are alright, but as soon as someone says (I play games) steer them clear.

If you want the best system, chec out the new Logitech MX700. It has a built in Lithium Ion Battery and the wireless transmitter is also a charger. very cool. it also gives location reports a lot more often than most other wirelss mice.

--PB

·
Registered
762 Posts
I use Leap batteries NiMH in my Handspring Visor, another great Canadian company. Leap recharchables were the only ones that I didn't have to change every week like dynacharge, they last about a month in the Visor that gets used every day.
But you NEED the Leap recharger.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
NiMH batteries (rechargeable) will give the longest operational time (and most expensive) and are often the only ones that will keep some digital cameras running for any lenght of time. Rechargeable alkalines would be the next best choice, but they can only be recharged about 50 times. Nicad can be recharged hundreds of times but will drain out the fastest. Regular alkalines are usually decent and low cost (if you buy them right), but if you go through them quickly, rechargeables may be more cost efficient, although you will have to change them more frequently.

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"If you want the best system, chec out the new Logitech MX700. It has a built in Lithium Ion Battery and the wireless transmitter is also a charger. very cool. it also gives location reports a lot more often than most other wirelss mice." :cool:
Now it always made me wonder why thngs like wireless headphones etc ddn't trickle charge a battery system - seems a pretty obvious method - glad somebody got it going.
Unfortunately I'm reluctant to switch mice as the shape and terrific configuration control on the Intellimouse Explorer keeps my RSI in control and my productivity very high. With all the key items programmed into the mouse I just would not be as efficient.
I like the Kensington Turbomouse but it also ate batteries, had a slow response but worst of all the programmable features kept losing their settings = off the desk.
I can't get the same shape in a wired Intellimouse
:( so I guess I'll invest in some quality rechargeables.
Bring some down next you come Pete..thanks.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:

Unfortunately I'm reluctant to switch mice as the shape and terrific configuration control on the Intellimouse Explorer keeps my RSI in control and my productivity very high. With all the key items programmed into the mouse I just would not be as efficient.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out the MX700, not that the Intellimouse isnt a great mouse, but the 700 is a fantasitc heel to it (if you are right handed), and in addition to four buttons (same as the intellimouse) it has a scoll wheel and two scroll buttons (cruise buttons as they call them, for consistant scolling through a long document) and a fifth button on top.

That combined with the 100+ position reports per second make it a sweet piece of mouse.

Just my opinion, but it is superior to the Intellimouse.

--PB

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
Someday, someday, the technology will be there to transfer energy through the air,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

About half way down the page it reads:
Tuesday, November 26, 2002  

Apple Working On Wireless Power.

Reports from Cupertino indicate that Apple is preparing to shock the technology industry yet again. Sources within the company claim that the next round of PowerBooks and iBooks will make laptop users fully mobile through the introduction of wireless power.

Read the rest: Crazy Mac Rumors Site

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I have seen an advertisement for a Kensington Wireless Studio Pro mouse that charges in a transmiter holder.

Back cover of the Newest MacWorld.

At the end of the day or when you leave for a bit you put it in the holder to charge.

My wife has a powered tooth brush that does the same. No electrical connection to recharge the battery. So it is possible...

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
933 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
That's not wireless charging - in a holder there is a direct connection.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it is "wireless" b/c the electric toothbrush handsets are fully enclosed. You do place the handset on the charger but there is no metal connection (the handset has to be waterproof). I've always assumed that this is driven by a magnetic field of some sort but that's just speculation.

FYI, Nikolae Tessla had worked out a scheme for widespread wireless electricity transmission based on microwaves I believe but is never got aff the ground b/c ... well that's the extent of my recall on the subject
. I'm sure someone out there can fill in the gaps (I'm just too lazy to Google it at this time of night).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer and i would have to agree with macdoc that i go through a TON of batteries...though im on my computer at least 8 hours a day, plus i game alot so that puts alot of use in holding down the buttons and what not..scrolling wildly constantly.

But i kind of found a solution.....i use Energizer Lithium(Titanium model) batteries which are designed for digital cameras..i find they last twice as longas reg energizers......though they cost a bit more,

Even though it costly...i still cant give up the feel of the mouse itself.....its a dream..fits perfect and all its buttons(4+scroll click) are supported in OSX with current drivers.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer and i would have to agree with macdoc that i go through a TON of batteries...though im on my computer at least 8 hours a day, plus i game alot so that puts alot of use in holding down the buttons and what not..scrolling wildly constantly.

But i kind of found a solution.....i use Energizer Lithium(Titanium model) batteries which are designed for digital cameras..i find they last twice as longas reg energizers......though they cost a bit more,

Even though it costly...i still cant give up the feel of the mouse itself.....its a dream..fits perfect and all its buttons(4+scroll click) are supported in OSX with current drivers.....

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
How long do the regular batteries normally last in your wireless mouse? A month?

I've been considering buying one of those, but I'm wondering if the hassle of always having to buy batteries would make it more trouble than it's worth.

PG

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts