Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, another question for the masses.

I need to go wireless. I have Sympatico's DSL internet package and a G4 tower and a Tibk.
So what I'd like is to keep the tower wired to the modem and have the PB wireless.

Now the tricky bit.
Cost. I really need to do this as inexpensively as possible.

I will accept all advice and recommendations as well as used products for those of you who are upgrading to "g".

Thanks again,
Robert

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I have basically the same setup,
Except mine is with a Beige and a Lombard.

I have a D-Link 4 port router attached to a DSL modem and a
wireless D-Link access point attached to the router.

My Lombard has a Macsense wireless PC card.

You could probably do almost the same thing except you could
use an Airport card for your Powerbook instead of a PC card.

Dave :cool:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
dolawren, do you by chance has the number of that Macsense wireless PC card?

I to have a lombard and would like to add it to my wireless setup and my D-Link pair are the same as yours.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Depending on your domestic setup and on your computer's antenna sensitivity, you may want to spend a bit more and go for a 54g instead of an 11b. The speed is immaterial for a small home network, but the reach is MUCH better with a g.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Actually, the reach is about the same or worse than that of 802.11b. Do a bit more research on the range issue and you will see.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The range of a wireless router can be described thusly:

The faster it goes, the closer you have to be.

At 54Mbps (802.11g speed) the range will be around 50 feet, whereas if you scale that down to 11Mbps (that's 802.11b speed) the range will increase to 150 feet. Drop it down further to 2 Mbps and the range will go as much as 400 feet.

Of course, all of these numbers depend on what is in the way (ie: what's your house built with).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Just a note on the same topic, there are a couple of manufacturers that like to list the range of their routers as 1100 feet or more (SMC in particular).

If you read the conditions for that range, they are basically setting the router to the slowest speed it is capable of running at and being outdoors in an area with nothing around to interfere with the signal. These conditions are not easily achieved anywhere, except the areas where high speed internet is only now getting to.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Actually, the reach is about the same or worse than that of 802.11b
Very true. So much will affect reach/range. Set ups are about as different as fingerprints. But they do have boosters for range - but since we are being cost effective, you may have to play around and see where you get best range/signal.

Any wifi router will do the trick - I have the basic NetGear (v2). Have an iMac hardwired and a Pismo on the fly... all good.

H!

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
The range of both .11b and .11g is about the same but the actual throughput will (obviously) be much different as Posterboy points out. The farthest range varies, depending on the conditions, for both protocols but there is a step down pattern to the throughput for both of them.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
I have a Linksys wireless router (802.11b) hooked up to a DSL line and I was able to go 177 feet from this point and still have a signal on my G4 iBook. Of course, I had to go outside and I was in my neighbor's backyard, but the connection was there nonetheless.

·
Registered
728 Posts
simple. why don't you get 2 airport cards (one for each)? have the G4 tower hook up to the DSL modem and use software base station which comes with the OS.
voila the powerbook will be wireless to access the G4 tower.
most economical setup, only thing is the range is a bit shorter, but its works great.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
One of the earlier responses suggested two airport cards. This would work for an iBook but I wouldn't recommend it with the TiBook. The airport antenna in the TiBook is so poor that my wife can't wander more than 10 feet from an access point without serious signal loss. My iBook works great everywhere in my house and even outdoors.

Check out some of the suggested third-party products if you want a strong signal.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I picked up an SMC 802.11b 4-port router from Best Buy in St. Cats for $5 - (you should really keep an eye out at Redflag.com for deal reminders)
After the in-store and the mail-in rebate came back (in record time, by the way), it ended up being free...

Yesterday I ordered a D-Link USB 802.11b wireless connection adapter for $63 from a local vendor, should be in tomorrow...

So for $63, I've connected my PS2, Xbox, G4 867DP and my wife's Blueberry iBook to my Rogers cable connection...

Sweet. Can't complain about that.

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
This is supposedly a deal for Sympatico users to get a free Wireless modem if you sign a 1 year contract. Apparently, existing users can also get the modem for free by signing a 1 year contract.

Sympatico Deal

·
Registered
507 Posts
Although not mac-centric and totally applicable, my site published a small article on 'Extending the range of your wireless'. I find that this short read provides great insight to a topic that most are unaware of - range can be increased vastly, and subsequently; through-put.

http://www.envynews.com/index.php?ID=631

N.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts