Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like I said before, Rogers doesn't have the technology to bring the iPhone. They want but they can't, at the beginning of 2008 or maybe at the end of this year they'll have a 3 times faster data transmission technology than Bell, maybe then the iPhone will come.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Like I said before, Rogers doesn't have the technology to bring the iPhone. They want but they can't, at the beginning of 2008 or maybe at the end of this year they'll have a 3 times faster data transmission technology than Bell, maybe then the iPhone will come.
Why not list your credentials so we can know what your particular expertise is based upon?

Consider that Rogers already has 3G phones and I surf on mine all the time. And that the Edge service used by the iPhone is offered by Rogers right across Canada, by Rogers, and has been for years. So you may have "said (it) before," but saying this again doesn't make it remotely accurate.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Rogers is slowly reducing prices, 50MB is now only $65/mo, you can get a whopping 500MB for only $210 lol.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Rogers is slowly reducing prices, 50MB is now only $65/mo, you can get a whopping 500MB for only $210 lol.
Yeah, but AT&T's plan is UNLIMITED for $20/mo.

Wow... I think Rogers would rather close up shop than offer that -- and this is totally me just speculating but I think Data Costs would be a HUGE sticking point for bringing the iPhone to Canada -- just like Geist says.

If Rogers can currently get $65/mo for a measly 50MB, you think they're going to want to offer unlimited for $20/mo... or even $40??

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I'm not even going to begin to speculate what pricing might be, but I'd be willing to bet the hangups aren't so much Rogers pricing but rather Rogers not wanting to capitulate to Apple's demands of unlimited data plans and revenue sharing.

Apple is in a strong position with the iPhone being a huge hit in it's first week, but Rogers is arguably in a stronger position what with being basically the only wireless provider that can handle the iPhone (unless Apple has a CDMA version in the pipe, of course, but I'm not sure that Bell or Telus have the infrastructure required for it).

But this is all idle speculation on my part.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well given Canada's record when it comes to cellular technology and service integration you'll be waiting a while for good service on the iphone and of course you're going to pay through the nose for it. That's the way it's done here, forget quality of service and features, how much can we squeeze out of consumers for this stuff.

And that the Edge service used by the iPhone is offered by Rogers right across Canada, by Rogers
Sure and that's what you can expect to use, and you'll pay huge to surf at early dial-up speeds. Nice... :lmao:

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Well.. 500MB goes *real* fast if you watch a few Youtube videos, or surf ehmac/digg/slashdot etc much.

It would be nice to see wireless costs come down to something reasonable.
You don't surf the Internet on the cellular network, you surf it when you are in a WiFi zone.

Trying to surf the internet over a cellular network is like trying to eat a meal with one chopstick - extremely frustrating and slow.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
You don't surf the Internet on the cellular network, you surf it when you are in a WiFi zone.

Trying to surf the internet over a cellular network is like trying to eat a meal with one chopstick - extremely frustrating and slow.
I surf on HSPDA when I feel like burning through my 10MB per month and need to check webmail etc. It's extremely fast. Reports of iPhones in the US say that EDGE surfing on an iPhone isn't quite what you describe, but I'd like to see for myself.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I surf on HSPDA when I feel like burning through my 10MB per month and need to check webmail etc. It's extremely fast. Reports of iPhones in the US say that EDGE surfing on an iPhone isn't quite what you describe, but I'd like to see for myself.
I was actually impressed. The iPhone I played with in the Apple Store in Buffalo was reportedly on the Edge network (why it wasn't on their internal wifi is beyond me) and the speed for hitting my own website (which doesn't load that quickly) was pretty good.

Everyone does the "ohhh wow I wanna do that" but when it comes down to it, what are you going to surf on, a 3" screen or a 15" screen (or larger). I'd use the iPhone for checking a company's web site, maybe looking for an address or contact info, but not much more than that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, it's not unreasonable to assume that Rogers might offer better data rates on the iPhone... They're already doing it with the Samsung Rogers Vision phone, and video calling is a lot more data-intensive than anything else you're likely to do on a 3G network.

The point is, however, that this plan is only available on the Samsung unit used for video calling, so Rogers is confident that by offering a more generous data plan on that particular phone that they're not going to be in a situation where people are burning up the airwaves.

The iPhone is a similar issue. Why do you think AT&T was so willing to offer an unlimited data plan for it at significantly below the plans for other phones. Sure, some of it is the whole idea of having the iPhone itself, but let's face it, when it comes right down to it, the amount of data you can actually use on the iPhone is extremely limited compared to most other devices out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.