Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every so often I will get one of these files in an email. I have never been able to open them. Since I work with Windows XP at the office, I have even forwarded them to my office email, but no luck opening them there either. Does anyone know how to open these darn things?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
A quick search on handy dandy Google and voila...Eudora has a blurb on this very issue:

"A .DAT file is a data file and many different applications use them. It is unlikely that any one program is registered in Windows with the File Association for .dat; this is why Eudora would not be able to guess what to open this type of file with WINMAIL.DAT is a proprietary Outlook file that allows Outlook users to send Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (TNEF) information. This TNEF information is unopenable and irrelevant outside of Outlook."

Translation: You can't open it, and even if you could, it wouldn't tell you anything.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
PGant, thanks for that link. I have the same problem too with these Winmail.dat attachments. I figured out that it was related to Microsoft Outlook but I didn't know why. Now I know why I couldn't read them with Outlook Express on my PC either.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I found a winmail.dat decoder for PC's that seems to work. It's shareware but you can try it for free for a trial period. It worked for me. These winmail.dat attachments are a nagging irritant on my work PC.

WMDecode for Windows

For Mac users TNEF Enough does the same thing and has been around longer.

TNEF Enough for Mac

1 - 4 of 4 Posts