Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I'm running a 17" MBP with snowleopard. I need Windows 7 to run my accounting software for work (and almost as important... to run Starcraft 2) my boss bought Parallels which I'm not very impressed with, and I would much rather have a native install. Here's the problem, I'm trying to run bootcamp, but we bought windows 7 online, so i have the .ISO file, but not an official Windows 7 CD. I tried burning a dvd with just the .ISO file, then i tried another DVD with the contents of the ISO file directly on the disc, and for some reason when i run the bootcamp assistant it doesn't see either of them as being a legit Windows 7 disc... sorry for the long set up to the question, but has anyone faced this problem and more importantly, gotten past it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
You can use Disk Utility to burn the ISO to a DVD. If it's not bootable after that, I'd check the validity of the ISO. Did you buy it directly from Microsoft?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use Disk Utility to burn the ISO to a DVD. If it's not bootable after that, I'd check the validity of the ISO. Did you buy it directly from Microsoft?
will burning it from disk utility burn it differently than the normal burn? because i've done the normal burn already... as for the validity, i used this ISO file to install windows on my parellels yesterday, so it's legit

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
So when MS sells you an iso file online, how exactly, do they handle the activation code? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's called Volume Liscensing. We have 2 computers here that use Windows for accounting, and so we bought multiple licenses. So they let you download the file and then when you "buy windows" you're just buying a liscence, and you can buy more anytime. Then you go to the "Volume Licensing Service Center" and just check your list of licenses.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
will burning it from disk utility burn it differently than the normal burn? because i've done the normal burn already... as for the validity, i used this ISO file to install windows on my parellels yesterday, so it's legit
Disk Utility will burn the contents of the .iso file onto the DVD while a normal burn will just burn the .iso file. So on the burned DVD from Disk Utility you will see the actual contents rather then just the .iso file which won't be of any use using Boot Camp (on the "normal" burnt DVD)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all, i did that and realized exactly what you said, normal burn just burns the iso as "a file" on a data disc, whereas disc utility makes it into the real deal.
boot camp is up and running great, the only thing that i think might be off are the graphics... i am using a brand new 17" core i5, and I installed Starcraft 2 on the 64bit windows 7 and it doesn't run well on the higher graphic settings even tho my graphics card should be more than enough to handle the max, (which is why i stopped playing it on the mac, it wasn't optimized well at all) any thoughts?
*i might try a new thread for this also

1 - 7 of 7 Posts